New here :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by happyasalways32, Jan 29, 2011.

1. happyasalways32

happyasalways32 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    Hello I'm new here and to raising chickens and quail.....but that's what we are thinking about doing. For home use nothing big. My question's are 1. Would it be better to start with grown chickens or raise them for chicks? Since I'm new at this(well my dad had amazing Rhode Island Reds when i was a kid but he did all the work lol [​IMG]) ? and 2. can you raise chickens and quail in the same coop? will it cause problems? Thanks for any help...

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] from Illinois!

Whether you start with chicks or full grown is up to you, IMO there are advantages and disadvantages to both. With chicks, you will need a brooder and heat lamp, but you do get to enjoy them as babies. Older ones will give you eggs faster, but then you also don't know what kind of earlier life they had so some could be friendly while others may not want much to do with you. Older ones will also cost you more to buy. With chicks you may end up getting a rooster, which depending on where you live, may not be a good thing, while you can be sure you don't get a rooster with older ones. It really just depends on your circumstances. They are fun either way.

3. happydodgefarm6113

happydodgefarm6113 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Welcome to BYC. We started our flock in August of 2010 with 3, 20 week old red stars that had just started laying, payed $10 each and they have been worth every penny.

They lay at least 28 out of every 31 days each. Then we were given three 10 week old buff orpingtons that started to lay at 23 weeks old and they lay 4 eggs a week each.

Then we ordered 6 chicks from MPC in september of 2010 and they should start laying soon.

If your in a hurry to have eggs you could buy laying hens but you never know if the person selling them to you is being honest about age or conditions the chickens were kept in.

Chicks are fun but time consuming for the first two weeks. They are also very messy. They take at least twenty weeks of care and food before they start to lay eggs.

Quail I have no experience with. Good luck to you and hope all works out well.

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG]

I don't know about the quail part, but I know that if you want friendlier hens you should get them as chicks so they can imprint on you and not run away from you as much when they grow up. Plus, bigger chickens that you buy from feed stores tend to be more expensive.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

6. happyasalways32

happyasalways32 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    Thank you guys for the quick responses and the good answers....I'm still wondering about raising the quail with the chickens...humm? I think i am going to try and get a couple of older chickens and then start a few little ones cause I do want the experience of starting them and raising them(and my kids too [​IMG] ) Ok this is probably a very silly question....but...for a house hold of 4 how many chickens do we really need...i understand that some lay more then others but on avarge and don't forget my neighbors are placing orders so it's ok if we have a little extra...hahaha. Oh one more thing...I live in Colorado and am wondering what kind to get....have seen the rode islands here( they are very pretty but can they handle cold?) and other one just dont know the name( told you im new at this lol ) but they were kinda gray with black i think...anyways any help would be great! Sorry so many questions but i have look at the books and checked online and it just doesn't tell me what i want to know...and I know the people here actually raise chickens...so just trying to pick your brains! Again thank you so much!

7. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] It's my opinion that one should have as many chickens as you have space for and can afford to feed. This is especially true if you have family, friends and neighbors expecting eggs from time to time. As for breed, you might want to check out this breed selecting tool: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by