New Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lulu786, Jan 30, 2011.

1. lulu786

lulu786 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Hi there

Just joined, I live in the UK, I have 5 chickens (don't know what breed as I got them from a friend for free) and also have a cockerel. And now of yesterday have 4 indian runner black drakes.

I'm a housewife that also have my own website selling Colonial Candles (www.merchantcart.co.uk) but love my poultry.

I joined as even though I have read about ducks, just need some advice on how to settle them. As they are not eating yet and they are very suspicious of new people so been trying to feed them their fav food but no luck at the moment, hopefully tomorrow morning. And also wanted to ask if ducks go inside their coop by themselves when it gets late? As today we had to round them up!

They live in the same housing as the chickens as its a large shed converted to a coop and today they didn't seem to mind, just that the ducks are still not settling. I don't think its the chickens as the owner assured me they can live together. And they have plenty of land between them as we live on a farm. So just some tips on how to settle them would be great and also some basics. And hopefully will be on this forum for awhile as its a great way to talk about poultry especially if you care for them a lot!

Thanks again

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Welcome I am new here too. Dont know about ducks but I suspect they will settle in time. I have read about indian runners and they are raised for working in the fields so they are herded from field to field. And Running is what they do along with laying eggs. They may just naturally be flighty.

deb "in San Diego"

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Take a look at my BYC page , as there are a gazillion articles there to help new folks out.

Hope it helps, and holler at me if you have any questions!
    [​IMG]

6. lulu786

Jan 30, 2011
    perchie.girl :

Quote:Welcome I am new here too. Dont know about ducks but I suspect they will settle in time. I have read about indian runners and they are raised for working in the fields so they are herded from field to field. And Running is what they do along with laying eggs. They may just naturally be flighty.

deb "in San Diego"

Well when they came out of the coop today all they did was run around! lol They quite liked it.​

7. lulu786

Jan 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the welcomes [​IMG]

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

9. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011