New Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by llaaadyel, Mar 14, 2011.

1. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Songster

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Hi: I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I actually joined a while ago when I got my Rhode Island roo but I haven't posted, just been reading a lot.

So, My rooster is driving my neighbors crazy and is also attacking the little dog, so he is going to a new home next weekend. I actually never intended on having a rooster, just hens but this guy was kind of dropped on me by a friend of my daughter. I decided to not get the hens just yet and do a bit of learning with the rooster. I have read just about anything I can get my hands on, been doing a lot of research and I finally took the plunge and ordered my hens which are coming mid April.

Here I thought I had done some decent learning with the rooster, and I am now feeling panicked that I am about to take the plunge to owning a small flock. I have so many questions I think I am driving myself nuts.

Llaaady

2. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] to bad you didn't live closer to me because I would give you one of my hens to start your flock or a few chicks I hatched. Your gonna love it here.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan!

Remain calm! [​IMG] I was a nervous wreck with my first 2 chicks and they were already 2 weeks old! A couple weeks ago I got 4 new-new baby chicks. It's not as hard as you think it will be. Check around locally and see if you can get some started birds. It helps if you give your general vicinity so bycers can tell if they're in your area. It's a learning process for all of us but luckily there is always someone to help!

4. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hello from Indiana

I think you will enjoy the hens you are getting. Don't sweat it just ask questions here as you go. You will be fine. I always like to hear people learning about their new adventure before plunging in. [​IMG]

5. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

from Northern ontario canada

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. You will be just fine. [​IMG]

7. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Songster

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I don't have much advice for your rooster trouble, but I gotta say, [​IMG]

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    And remember...READING IS FUNDAMENTAL! Good for you for doing all the reading; you'll be thankful you did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: