New here!

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Hi, my name is Marci and I am new here and new to owning poultry. I have 6 pullets that are now about 5 weeks old and I'm just finishing their coop. It is 4X10 and is 6 ft high in the front and 5 ft. in the back so the rain and snow will drain. When I get done, I will post some pictures.

I have a question, though. I live in NE Wyoming.....which means NO trees. We live out on the prairie. I've been reading posts since I got my chickies 4 weeks ago and people keep talking about making sure there are trees for shade or some type of shade in their yard. Should I make some little chickie lean-to's for shade? In their yard, there will also be 6 ducks with a small plastic pool for a pond. Will this be ok for the chickies to be around? The coop has two large windows on the south and east side since in the winter it gets quite cold and I figured the windows would help keep things warmer. So only one side of the coop will have shade all the time on the inside. I do have a large open "vent" on the north side with a door that can be opened or closed depending on the weather. Oh, and the yard will be quite large.....not sure exactly how large yet, but good size for the number of birds I have. I have some used fence and green posts already and that is what I will be using. Also, to keep skunks and stray dogs out, I will be adding a line of electric fence along the bottom.

I must say, this site has made my dream of having chickies a reality. Otherwise I wouldn't know where to start! Thank you all of you that have posted regularly because I have learned so much! My DH thinks I'm crazy but he has helped with the building of my coop though at times we did not agree on my design. But in the end, I won out and my chickies are actually in it right now even though it's not quite done. They are getting big enough now that I need to finish so they can start playing in the grass.

Thanks for the help!

you really dont need trees for shade.esp since you dont have trees for sahade.the hens will stay in the henhouse when it gets hot.or find them a nice cool place to hangout.

justduckie --- welcome to BYC

You will find this place to be very helpful.

As far as shade - I use the cheap tarps that are about 8 by 10 feet, the work well on really hot days when the chickens are looking for an out of the coop spot

Welcome!
If your able to freerange, your flock will find a cool spot, if their penned, they'll go under the coop if they can. They most certainly need some shade.
Good luck and have fun!
smile.png

Welcome Marci, I use tarp over part of my coup. It will also give them a place to stay dry if they want to be outside. Anything to provide some shade. Don't know about the pool as I am a newbie myself. There are many experienced folks here to advise you.
frow.gif

Last edited:
How deep is the pond? I only ask because chickens can't swim. Pullets are really curious and could stumble into it by accident. If it is shallow enough they can jump out it is ok.

You could make an awning. I'm afraid tarps would blow away since you are on the prarie. You could make a sloped roof off one side (preferably north) and leave the sides open. Another solution would be to build a pergola. Its an ornamental structure that provides shade, its basically a roof fram with boards across without any roofing material. It allows for shade without risking wind damage. Here's a link to a picture: http://www.ronhazelton.com/images/PERGOLA-0.jpg you wouldn't have to make it this fancy but I think you can get the general idea. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom