New here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dove1B, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Dove1B

Dove1B Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and I just got some baby chicks last night! 4 bantams. I thought one of them was going to keel over within the first hour, he(she?) is the runt of the group and just seemed weak and sick. I'm pretty sure the feed store didn't have them at the right temperature though, he stopped chirping every time my husband cupped his hands! After separating him for a while, giving him some food/water and heat, he perked up and we put him back in with the others. They have all been happily scratching around ever since! I feel like I must be doing it right with the food/bedding/temperature because they aren't huddled for warmth nor are they trying to get away from the lamp, they aren't pecking at eachother or chirping loudly and they just seem content. Yay! I will add a photo of them if I can figure out how!

2. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    looking forward to the pix of the chix!

3. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Congrats on your babies, do you know what breeds you have? I have my first flock starting as well, batch one is almost 4 weeks old, and the 2nd batch are right behind at almost 2 weeks.

Here are a couple of mine...3 of the 15 i have going.
    [​IMG]
    Elvis(Elvira) - Black Australorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bonnie and Clyde, my 2 EE's

these are the 3.5 week old chicks.

they are loads of fun, and a happy chick is a sure sign that you are doing something right! i been out of the game for years and just starting back up now! look forward to seeing some pics!

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    congrats on the new chicks. also [​IMG] & [​IMG]

5. Dove1B

Mar 8, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Hope these pics work...

6. Dove1B

Mar 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Darn, only one picture posted. Anyways, that first ones name is Blacksheep, I'm thinking he's the youngest since he's so small and gets pushed around. This one is Whitesnake, he's the biggest.

7. Dove1B

Mar 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

And here's all of them! Whitesnake, Blacksheep, Goldie, and Stripe.

8. Dove1B

Mar 8, 2013
    They are bantams, but they are from a feed store so I can't be sure. They all have fuzzy legs except Whitesnake, does that mean he's a different variety or different breed? I think they are all around 5-6 days old but Blacksheep might be younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by