1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Here...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CAjamieb, Nov 6, 2013.

1. CAjamieb

CAjamieb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi All--
    I'm new to this site and new to chickens so wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jamie, I'm located in Texas, transplanted from California 12 years ago. My first experience with chickens, other than eating them, began a couple of weeks ago with the building of our coop. We acquired 7 hens and 2 roosters last weekend and have just begun our learning experience. My questions/comments will entertain some of you and possibly irritate some--as I said, I am brand new at all of this. I have books coming to study, am spending time observing my little flock, reading info on sites like this one and getting advice from a trusted friend. So, I'm glad that this site is available to support each other and also to develop some friendships. Thanks for accepting me into your group. :)

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Welcome [​IMG] This site has been a lifesaver for many of us! (Just between us, silly questions are rampant and that's just fine!!!)

P.S. We love pics so be be shy about sharing your Fluff-Butts!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Welcome! I live in the Texas Hill Country, but a little over 12 years ago was living in the Bay Area of Californian. I have raised chicken off and on for about 8 years.

Books are great! I only observed my own flock and asked my dad question for the first 5 years of raising chickens. I learned a ton, but books are always reassuring when other conclusion match my own. They also solved lots of the mysteries that stumped me when working on my own.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

1 person likes this.
  5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome! Save those books for reference during power/internet outages, now you have BYC. Thank you for joining.

2 people like this.
  6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! 2 roosters is too many for that amount of hens, you may need to get some more girls or re-home one of the roosters, watch out for over-breeding (missing feathers, etc) good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. CAjamieb

CAjamieb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your welcome and input. Once I learn how to navigate this website I'll do a lot better with communicating.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jamie, welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  10. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC !
    Steve. :frow

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by