1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daremboldt, Nov 30, 2014.

1. daremboldt

daremboldt New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi all! I just bought 6 hens from a friend of mine who is moving and needed to sell...I'm anxious to get my coop built. My parents are keeping them out on their farm with their chickens until I can get a spot ready for them. I'd love suggestions for what kind of features my coop needs. I live in town, and the chickens will need to stay in their coop, so I'm thinking it should be portable, and also have an uncovered area with just chicken wire at the top so they're sure to get plenty of sunshine. I'd love any suggestions!!!! Thanks!!!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

x2 on the links Mountain Peeps has given you. One thing you do not want for your coop or run is chicken wire...it's only strong enough to keep chickens in but does not keep predators out. And there are predators in towns as well as in the country so they will need protection.

What breed of chickens did you get?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You might want to check out our tractor section for some ideas on a movable coop...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-mobile-chicken-coop-designs

X2 on not using chicken wire. It can be chewed through, ripped apart, destroyed very easily by predators. Always use hardware cloth.

And definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of caring for your new flock. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link.

If you have any specific questions along the way, feel free to ask. We do welcome you to our flock!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X3 on using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Hardware cloth has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens did you buy from your neighbor?

6. daremboldt

daremboldt New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks all!!! I got 3 Copper Marans and 3 Americaunas. I'm so excited [​IMG]

I've got a lot of reading to do...I want to make sure I give them enough space and access to plenty of sunshine. Thanks for the heads up on chicken wire!!!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. You're going to have a very colorful egg basket. I love the chocolate eggs of the Marans.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by