New here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by townhen, Jan 18, 2015.

1. townhen

townhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    New to BYC here and looking forward to brooding chicks and building our backyard coop this spring (as soon as the snow melts and the ground thaws!). I have ordered 3 female chicks (plus a Meal Maker) from Meyers. I was hoping to find a hatchery closer to home here in Iowa so that I wouldn't have to order the chicks in the mail, but I was not able to find anyplace that carries the breeds that I was looking for AND would let me do a small pickup order. Apparently, Murray McMurray has a minimum pickup of 10, even though I live so close by, which is really too bad - I think it would be much easier on the chicks to drive for an hour in a warm car than be shipped over a couple of days in who-knows-what conditions. I have ordered a Dominique, a Delaware, and a Barnevelder from Meyer's. Fingers crossed that they arrive safe and healthy on April 7th or 8th... Perhaps I should consider ordering some assorted hatching eggs from Meyer's... has anyone else ordered hatching eggs from them with good results?

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC. Sorry no experience with ordering eggs at all... So you're picking up your three birds? That's good because if you get in them shipped expect to get a box for the roosters in with your three girls ( packing peanut birds for body heat )
    Enjoy your girls and enjoy designing and building that coop there are lots of great ideas on here, research, research, research! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    Welcome! Lots of good info and ideas here, even though I've had chickens for awhile, I just joined and have already learned a bunch!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome back to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Sorry, but I don't have any experience with Meyer; either eggs or chicks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

Good luck with your future chicks!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck in getting your chicks! It sounds like you'll have a nice variety.

10. TamingMaster

TamingMaster Overrun With Chickens

Jul 26, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by