New here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HarleyHyena, Mar 27, 2015.

1. HarleyHyena

HarleyHyena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Texas!
    Hello! I've spent the past two weeks reading up and everything and anything I can about chickens... And I think I'm ready to get some chicks after I finish building my brooder. This will be the first time in at least 7 years that I will be around chickens. Even then, back then I just helped my uncle feed his. I'm super excited about getting the little chicks! Does anyone have any advice to make things any easier?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Do you have any ideas what breed and how many you are getting? Or even what you plan on doing with your poultry hobby? What specific information would you like to learn about?

On Backyard Chickens they have a learning center with articles about various things and a review section where you can see pros and cons about breeds of poultry and products.

1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    1 person likes this.
  4. HarleyHyena

HarleyHyena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Texas!
    I'm thinking about getting a couple of different breeds of chicks [I haven't seen anyone say you can't so far]. I was going to start off with 6 or so for egg laying [They're going to be pets as well]. And right now at this point I pretty much just want to learn about everything.

5. tray579

tray579 New Egg

Mar 27, 2015
    Lexington,KY
    Hi! I am brand new and have been doing a lot of reading on chickens, honestly it can get confusing! I have my coop ready, just unsure of what exactly to get. I missed the first swap in Lawrenceburg and was hoping to find one to go to tomorrow. I don't want to start with chicks, I would prefer hens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your future chicks! You may want to check out the Learning Center articles on raising chicks: Hatching Eggs And Raising Chicks

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your chicks, the link Wyandottes7 has left for you is full of great info with some excellent articles.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Starting with older birds is a little easier as you don't have to provide heat etc and they can go straight out into the coop. The learning centre is good place to start for all the learning. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    I started my chicken journey with red sex link hens, they were an easy starter bird that produced lots of eggs. Seem to be good in all weathers and are quite friendly.

Wishing you the best of luck and be sure to ask any specific questions you may have. The forum has a section for all aspects of chicken keeping.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture