New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kmom08, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kmom08

kmom08 New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    My husband and I recently purchased 6 hens (4 isa browns and 2 sex links) they are 11 months old and we're very much enjoying the presents (eggs) they have been leaving us every day. Our 6 year old daughter absolutely loves collecting the eggs.

We have 2 puggles, and We also raise rabbits- 3 standard rexs, 2 rex/nz mixes, a flemish giant, and an adorable lionhead.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Please keep an eye on the dogs, even Chihuahuas and yorkies have ended up slaughtering chickens.

3. kmom08

kmom08 New Egg

Mar 31, 2015

I was worried about them at first, so far so good. They leave them alone but unfortunately one of my dogs has been devouring the chicken poo (ewwwwwy)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. dsstewart

dsstewart New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Manchester, CT
    Hey! Welcome. I just started as well.

D. S. Stewart

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Good luck with your chickens and rabbits!

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Are your Sex Links, Red Sex Links or Black Sex Links. The reason I'm asking is because Isa Browns are actually Red Sex Links. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene rooster. Other labels under which Red Sex Links are marketed (besides Red Sex Link) include Gold Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Red Star, Gold Star, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, etc. Black Sex Links on the other hand are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a barred gene hen. Both sex linked varieties are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those 6 girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck with your flock.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Enjoy your flock of bunnies and birds![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. kmom08

kmom08 New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Thank you for all the welcomes. They are black sex links. I originally wanted a some australorp started pullets until the local breeder informed me he couldn't tell the difference between his black giants and australorps. We're happy with the hens we ended up buying, and all 6 are very friendly and we didnt have to wait months for eggs. :) we've had them about 3 weeks so far and weve already been able to give a couple of dozen eggs to our neighbors.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by