1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New....Hi...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by redbirds, Jan 17, 2013.

1. redbirds

redbirds New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    HI,
    I have been on this website for a while now but couldn't think of what to say. But I do have a question... I have had my chickens for a few months now, I think they are about 7-8 months. I went to let them out yesterday and 1 wouldn't leave the coop, they were out for a few hours but she never left. I thought maybe she was not feeling well or my husband thought maybe she was getting ready to lay so she didn't want to leave the nest area? But she was ok with getting out today when I let them out. When I went to collect the eggs, I saw one in the middle of the coop floor, which is weird for my girls. There were 4 more where they usually lay in the corner, but 2 were a real light color and 1 even looked funny, it was more flat than the others, it had ridges on it and is lighter in color than normal. I am also a worrier and I have lots of other questions but this will do for now. Thanks, any answers are appreciated.
    Michelle

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Maybe she had an odd egg that was difficult to pass

3. redbirds

redbirds New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    I was thinking that too, but then 1 of them sounds sick.... I don't know what to do or get for them.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] X2 It sounds like she had an awkward egg that wouldn't come out.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I agree with Sumi. Since your hen is ok now, dont worry about it. These things happen sometimes with chickens. However, if she was sneezing, wheezing, runny nostrils....well, that's a different story. I wont go there.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, redbirds, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Sounds like your question has been addressed so I'll just say howdy and good luck!!

7. redbirds

redbirds New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    Thanks for the welcome!!! and the replies! I think she might have a cold or something (if that's possible) I will watch her for a few days and see what happens. I have 4 chickens and they all look alike so I can't tell which one is which lol. But if one does have a cold, what are my options?

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If your hen does not improve, post in "Emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures." Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by