New home made bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosaline, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    I am new to chickens and hatching them. My boyfreind has bought me a chicken coop for christmas as he new I always wanted them.

I have just finished making my own bator. I have used an old black plastic recycle box. I have a tray in the bottom filled with water. Then a wire cooling tray from the kitchen for the eggs to lay on. I manadged to make a hole big enought for the Lamp to fit in ( with out the shade). I was having problems with the lid. It is plastic to........but thanks to all the good advice and helpful people on BYC you all helped me to solve this problem. I took out the glass from my picture and put it on top. This is acting as a lid and a window all in one. Its great, now I can see everything that happens without lifting the lid to sneek a peek [​IMG] Now I can leave the house knowing that the bator wont melt or burn down the house

It has taken 3 attemps to make one......guess what I have been doing allllllllllll day!

Try, try, try, try again and if that dont work......buy one.

I hope this has helped someone out there. Good luck x

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Good luck, I hope it works for you!! I'm still debating on whether to buy or to make my own...........

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Fantastic! It's a lot of fun to build one, and even cooler when it works correctly! The neatest thing is to see into your eggs when you candle and see chicks developing. I will see the fruits of our labours this coming weekend, can't wait! if you have any questions feel free to ask!

4. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would love some pictures. I'm contemplating making an incubator

5. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] This is as close as I have got with trying to get the picture up.......let me try this........................... sorry if this has not worked................If not then I will try again later x

Woooooooow [​IMG] thats brill. A massive pic

In the pic there is a sheet of glass that is laying on top of it to keep in the warmth and to veiw. The pastic lid I was using started to melt slowly [​IMG]

[​IMG] I have had to prop up the lamp to keep it at the right angle.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    That looks great!!

I wonder if I can do that with a styrofoam cooler.

Maybe I should just order chicks, lol

7. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    I have changed the plans a little. Putting foil in to cover it. I made a little shelf to make the cooling tray stable. But I am now thinking of putting the light in the bottom of the bator. As heat rises, and I want to get the most out of the heat.

Im still waiting for my orpington eggs, but glad in a small way they arnt here yet as I need this to be just right. Hoping for tomorrow [​IMG]

8. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] This is my bator with alot of tweeking as you can tell. I put the light at the bottom with the tray at the top as heat rises. Then I made another shelf above the cooling wire to put in the eggs. Just to protect the eggs and chicks ( when hatched) from the light. I put a metal tray under neath the light to stop the plastic from melting, with a cloth underneath as the metal may overheat.

9. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Have you been able to stablize the temps yet?

10. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Quote:Thats exactly what I was wondering too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by