New home....no chickens allowed!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by milleryardchx, Jul 11, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    My husband and I are looking for a new home and we found one we just love but the HOA says no poultry but that part of the county allows hens. how do i convence the HOA to keep my three laying hens or do i not say anything and try to have illegal immigrants?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The problem with HOAs is that even if they approve your hens, one complaint from some other person and they could revoke that permission. Then you'd have to get rid of them. I'd pass. There's always another house, especially in this market. I personally will never be in a neighborhood that had a HOA with rules like that. Actually, I cant stand HOAs anyway, but that's me.

EDITED TO ADD: I was a realtor for 8 years and I've seen some rules that were just bizarre in these HOAs, illegal even. Bunch of busybodies in HOA office. My own son lives in one and he's constantly battling stupid stuff with them. And his house is a showplace!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    stay away from HOA's. We used to live in a gated community. they tell you what you can plant, how long the lawn can be, they cry over every little bare spot on the lawn.. They think they are the rulers and hate indivitualists.
    I saw you have barred rocks aint they at the noisy side anyways? Look into a house with out HOA in a established neighborhood.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Having lived in FL-- I would rather try a parachute jump without a parachute than living in or trying to fight an HOA. My SIL is in one and rues the day, AND the $8K in special assessments she has had to pay for "repairs and upgrades" since the 2OO2-O3 hurricane seasons.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    d.k :

* Having lived in FL-- I would rather try a parachute jump without a parachute than living in or trying to fight an HOA. My SIL is in one and rues the day, AND the $8K in special assessments she has had to pay for "repairs and upgrades" since the 2OO2-O3 hurricane seasons.

thats were we lived with that HOA. Right outside Orlando. Forfot to say they even pick which kind off grass you allowed to plant​

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Keep looking, please! The only people I know they like HOA are people without children, without pets, perfectionists and that are barely home! hehe I'm sure there are some out there that are not in the category, though! ;-)

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    We are in one of those HOA's now and wish we weren't...trying to sell the place now and get somewhere real.

8. mango1612

mango1612 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Next time I move...I plan to run screaming from any place with an HOA. There's one in my neighborhood, and the people in charge seem to be on a power trip. From what I've heard that seems to be pretty common...

I live in a townhouse, so no chickens for me right now. There's not enough room in the backyard, but believe me I checked to make sure they didn't forget to add poultry to the list of things banned!

Agreed that you don't want to have to fight with an HOA.

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    HOA's are ran by control freaks. Run away as fast as you can.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The BTK killer was a code enforcement officer for a HOA...need I say more?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by