new home

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandy28, May 29, 2016.

1. sandy28

sandy28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    The ducks have moved into their temporary new home[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks neat!

If that is outside, chicken wire will not protect them from predators, they need half inch metal hardware cloth.

@sandy28

3. sandy28

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks...it is we're getting the other wire. I've also made like a scarecrow with old clothes sitting in a chair next to it...I'm also considering bringing then in at night

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think I would bring them in at night until the metal hardware cloth was set up. I used to also run two strands of electric around the pen at night. Their night pen is now in the walkout basement, so I just need to be careful to keep the basement door closed during the day so no predators walk in and wait.

Yes, I have a very active imagination. But these things can happen.

5. sandy28

Apr 1, 2016
    My husband put the hardware cloth on the house tonight so I feel better....we also have the door locked with cinder blocks stacked against it...I'm not taking any chances...if I had a garage they'd be in it

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good for you!

It's best, I feel, to anticipate much worse predator pressure than you get. There may be weeks that go by with not a sign of anything. Then one night, there they are, and they have all night to try to get through the defenses.

A one-inch gap is opportunity enough for a raccoon to reach in. My ducks like to sleep against the fence!

7. sandy28

Apr 1, 2016
    We want to eventually get a chain link dog pin...I also have wire under the house in case something tries to dig under it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by