new hoop house - a few details please

jjakaus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
wyandotte, mi
I have just discovered hoop houses and I think it will be the perfect design for me. I have a space between my garage and fence that I would like to put it. I have seen a ton of ideas here. I am planning on using cattle panels and chicken wire. I don't really have any predators in my area (a suburban neighborhood), so it doesn't need to be Fort Knox. I just have a few questions

1. I live in Michigan. Its gets cold and it snows. Is this really a practical idea for my climate?

2. I have never used a cattle panel or even seen on in person. The area I am using is about 7 feet wide. Will a 16 ft cattle panel bend that far?

3. For anyone who has one, what is the most important advice you can give me?

Thanks everyone!! This is the best website!!

Jayknee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hi, The best piece of advice I can give you regarding a hoop house is to pin it very well to the ground! Sadly I learned the hard way that they can fly quite far in the wind. I thought mine was sufficiently staked until the wind caught it and threw it 100 yards down to the bottom of the hill.
Its a pretty good design otherwise.

To answer your other question! Yes, a cattle panel will bend to fit a 7' area! Mine was a 8'x8' and I had no problems bending the panels. I did find it was much easier to use a couple of ratchet straps to hold the panels in the arch shape.

I cant be much of a help with your winters as I am a warm weather gal! My instincts are telling me that you will still need a proper chicken house during the winter. The hoop coop setup would be perfect for a nice protected run if attached to a proper solid insulated coop.
hope this helps, Good luck with your new coop! Just don't forget to triple stake it to the ground, LOL!

dheltzel

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Pottstown, PA
You should build a solid house-like structure with a well supported roof, otherwise winter is going to be miserable for you and your birds. The hoop house is a good idea for a run or even for warm weather housing (I'm using one to grow out chicks right now).

Top Bottom