New Horse Owner, Any tips would be welcome!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickyMama229, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ChickyMama229

ChickyMama229 Chirping

Jul 1, 2017
    Hi Everyone! I am soon going to be a horse owner. I have always wanted a horse, literally, since I could walk and talk, even before that, I have always had a love for animals. I am so excited, I am looking at a paint mare that is 5 years old, and is 14.3 hands. I have rented tons of books, read tons of articles online and in magazines, so I have done a ton of research. I'm not made of money, so I rented a book for equestrians on a budget, and I wrote down a ton of recipes, DIYs, and helpful tips and tricks I learned. So I am trying to give this horse the good stuff, without draining my wallet. Does anyone have any tips for beginner horse owners, caring for horses, training a horse, and/or any tips to save money? Thank you all so much!

2. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Songster

Feb 27, 2016
    Florida Gulf Coast
    I grew up riding horses and had them for a long time as an adult too. I currently don't have any personally, but my dad is nice enough to let me ride and care for his. After reading your post, a few things came to mind:
    Horses will get into anything and everything. If there is something to get hurt on, a horse will surely find it! I would walk the perimeter and all other areas where your horse will be so you assure it's as safe as possible and avoid costly vet visits for injuries.
    Try and put a little money away each month to have a contingency fund in case something does happen or there are unexpected expenses such as vet bills.
    Keep up on vaccinations and routine maintenance. Despite their big size, horses are delicate animals and can get sick easily. Keep up on their feet and take care of their teeth so they don't become a problem. Also, keep a close eye on their food. If given moldy hay, they can get colic. If given too much fresh grass, they can founder. Both can be expensive and/or devastating. As the saying goes...."An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"
    Lastly, as a beginner, I would try to get a horse that is already trained. Training a horse takes a lot of time and sending them to the trainer is expensive. I would look for one with good manners, a nice disposition, and sweet personality.
    Hopefully, I haven't scared you away....Horses are amazing animals and I loved having them. I would say that if you've always wanted one then you should go for it! If you go into it prepared, I don't think you'll regret it.
    I'm certainly no expert, but would be happy to try and help with any questions.
    Good luck!

Magicque, BYC910 and Folly's place like this.
  3. Welcome to BYC! :ya
    I have never owned horses but my grandma used to have a beautiful pinto stallion.
    I love horses and have read zillions (not literally... but close) of books on them. I love to draw them... a hobby that I have fancied ever since I was little. :p

Magicque likes this.
  4. ChickyMama229

ChickyMama229 Chirping

Jul 1, 2017
    Wow! Thank you so much for the great info!! Yes I will definitely walk the perimeter and make sure fencing is safe and secure. Great idea, about putting money away every month, there will likely be unexpected bills. We have 2 vets, and I am going to call and see if either of them can take care of their dental and farrier things too, or if they can recommend someone. The lady we are looking to buy from has used the mare as a horse for her daughter, and says she is very gentle and sweet. Thank you so much again!

Magicque likes this.
  5. ChickyMama229

ChickyMama229 Chirping

Jul 1, 2017
    Thank you! I had an account before, but I had to make a new one. I absolutely love this website. Wow! I love paints!! This mare is a beautiful paint. Me too! I love drawing horses. My dream horse is actually a Friesian, but they are very big and expensive!

6. Then I guess I re-welcomed you :p ... so I suppose it should be:
    "Welcome back to BYC! :ya" then. (hehe) :D

I actually had the same thing happen... I lost my password... and email to the old account. :p

Friesians are definitely beautiful! I have drawn some of them. :D

7. ChickyMama229

ChickyMama229 Chirping

Jul 1, 2017
    LOL! True! :p. Really? I would love to see some pictures if you would like to share them.

8. ChickyMama229

ChickyMama229 Chirping

Jul 1, 2017
    Also, any questions you suggest I ask? I texted the owner today and she got back to me right away. I already asked how tall she is, if she loads in a trailer, bathes good, rides good, and if she is updated on vaccines, dental and coggins. Anything else? She has pictures of her little girl riding her too. She looks really sweet.

9. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Songster

Feb 27, 2016
    Florida Gulf Coast
    It sounds like your asking all the right questions! If you end up getting her you'll have to post some pictures!

Farmer Connie likes this.
  10. That would be really cool if you could post pictures of her! She sounds really nice. :)

The Friesian drawings I gave away... (As I do most my drawings hehe :p) But here are some of my others.... I do not mind sharing... but I am not like a really great artist or anything... I try to do realistic things... but it doesn't usually turn out as planned...
    I still have fun drawing though.

I also have a bad habit of not finishing my drawings all the way... and making the noses on black horses to small... for some odd reason. :p
    DSCF2729.jpg DSCF2730.jpg

DSCF2731.jpg DSCF2736.jpg DSCF2740.jpg The one above was staged by someone else (i.e the gourd and dead leaf thing wasn't my idea :p)

I like drawing poultry too :D The one directly below is of one of my first chickens as a pullet...
    DSCF2734.jpg

DSCF2738.jpg

DSCF2735.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: