New Horse!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ParkerVA, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Pending the vet check, we have a new horse!

She will be 4 this year and is a bay Percheron/QH cross. She is a gentle as can be and will be used for trail riding. I am going to likely call her either Belle or Maggie.

She will join Brandy, Dixie, Abbey, Chloe (Quarter Horses), Parker (Appaloosa), Diego (Arabian) and Molly (Donkey).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Congrats on your new girl, she is cute, reminds me of my first horse. ;o) Never heard of a Percheron before, will have to goggle it. It's been awhile since I've had much to do with horses.

We are moving to a small farm and all my family and friends are like "so will you be getting a horse??" but I will just more than likely not have the time. Not fair to the horse, IMHO

I do hope to find someone that has one that I can ride now and again though!! [​IMG]

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    She's adorable! Hope the vet check goes well.

There is a LOT you need to know about draft horse metabolism. They have VERY different feed requirements than lights. Sorry about the plug, mods - but you should consider joining www.percheronnetwork.com to glean breed specific advice. Also go to www.rurualheritage.com to learn about feeding by Dr. Valentine (I think that's her name). EPSM is a real problem you need to learn about.

Keep us posted!

4. ParkerVA

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Thanks for the link Helmstead. Very helpful information.

My neighbor is also a horse vet, she's great and already said she would give me some good information on draft and draft crosses too! I pet sit for her and she answers all of my questions and cuts me a deal on services, its a good trade.

Thought I would share pictures of the rest of them!

First, here is Parker, she is an Appaloosa (I think her color would be called a varnish blue roan?), and please ignore the way the flash made her eyes look bizarre!

[​IMG]

Next is Dixie, she is a chestnut Quarter Horse (and a bit fat!).

[​IMG]

This is Brandy, she is a dun Quarter Horse and 23 years old.

[​IMG]

This is Abbey, she is a sorrel Quarter Horse. My family owned her mother and grandmother (both have since passed on).

[​IMG]

5. ParkerVA

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    And, this is Diego. He is a gray Arabian gelding. The only male!

[​IMG]

Chloe, she will be two this year. She is a red dun Quarter Horse.

[​IMG]

And finally Molly. She will be 26 this year and is probably the sweetest of them all! Someone gave her to me, she's here to live out the rest of her years.

[​IMG]

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful horses and donkey ParkerVA!

I have a Clydesdale/Thoroughbred cross. There is nothing like having a draft mixed horse, they are the sweetest things. Good luck on the vet check!

Here is mine, she is now just a "Pasture Ornament" She is retired from Three Day Eventing.

[​IMG]

7. ParkerVA

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    She is beautiful wooden_pony!

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Beautiful horses, Parker. I'm partically fond of Dixie, love big wide QH's. [​IMG]
    Wooden-Pony, your girl is pretty as well, I wouldn't mind her as a lawn ornament.

9. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    That is a very odd mix of horse i must say. I nevr heard of that cross but she looks beautiful, and if I were given the chance I probably would have had to get her to. I am curious though how big is she? Anyway Congradulations on your new baby!!!

10. ParkerVA

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Thanks Angie, Dixie was my show horse at one point. She is a pokey, pokey jogging QH! I keep toying with the idea of breeding her to a Paint stallion, but talk myself out of it.

Alley, she is 16.1 or 16.2 right now. I think she will probably finish a little taller, she won't be 4 until June. As is, she is tall enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by