New Houdan Hen-Looks Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avance09, Jan 3, 2014.

1. avance09

avance09 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    I adopted a Houdan hen last night to accompany my Frizzle hen. I named her Penelope so that's what I will refer her too. I guess I'm just not used to looking at a different chicken or just my little knowledge on chickens, I'm not sure, but she looks unhealthy to me. My frizzle hen is just now 6 months old and looks bigger than Penelope, which the previous owners said she was a year old and already laying. Maybe it's just the fact that my frizzle's feather make her look bigger, I don't know.

Also, Penelope's face looks really red to me. But then again, I'm used to seeing my frizzle which has a black skinned face whereas Penelope's skin is white. However, Penelope's face looks really red. I'm not sure if that has to do with how cold it it here (23 degrees) or that she may be sick. I have Duramycin on hand if I should give her some.

This may gross someone out but Penelope's poop looks weird. It runny with a hint of red in it. My frizzle's doesn't ever look like this. And her head reeks of poop! It's like she rolled in it. I know someone may think that all chickens smell nasty but my frizzle actually stays clean and doesn't smell. Should I give Penelope a bath? Those feathers on her head are really dirty and stink REALLY bad.

Just so everyone knows, I have chickens just for pets. Because of this, I want to make them as comfortable as possible. Please let me know what you think from the photos. I don't know very much about chickens and I'm learning as I go.

[​IMG]
    If you look close, you can see that her head feathers look really brown and disgusting compared to her body feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope this isn't blood in her poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by