New house. Old shed. Total transformation. But, NEED IDEAS! (+Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grillmaster33, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I have a new home. It has a huge empty shed with my name + chickens written ALL over it. I NEED ideas. I want to make it incredibly incredible. I have built nothing more than a popsicle stick house before. So....where do I begin!??!?

Outside of the shed.

[​IMG]

Distance from house. (I love this yard)

[​IMG]

The entrance. Sorta mired in the ground.

[​IMG]

Front left corner. You can see how it would be easy for a predator to get underneath. I am considering the addition of a raised floor (But have NO idea where to even begin.

[​IMG]

Front wall. You can see the gap between the roof and the top of the wall. Definitely not predator-proof. I know it makes for good ventilation, and I'm certain I would need wiring (maybe hardware cloth) around the perimeter. Your take?

[​IMG]

Again, back left corner. I feel like this place was MADE for me and my birds!!!!!!

[​IMG]

The back/center wall. Carson (Minpin/Dachschund mix) is investigating.

[​IMG]

Anyway,
    I am SUUUUUUPER excited to begin this project but I have no idea exactly what I want to do and how.

I could make this into some sort of walk-in SUPER Coop, with a SUPER Run on the outside.... I was also thinking making an aisle down the center and having two, possibly four rooms/pens on the inside...? Yay? Nay? Your thoughts! Help out!!!

The babes:

[​IMG]

White D'Uccle, Mille Fleur D'Uccle, Spangled OEGB, Brown/Red? OEGB, Barred Rock Bantam, and (possibly) Black Japanese Bantam

and

[​IMG]

2 Black Sumatras, a Silver Sebright, a Golden Sebright, a Blue Cochin, an OEGB, a Dutch Bantam, and two bantams that I have NOOO idea what they could be.

Thanks again. I am a teacher so I have the summer off (plenty of time to get this project completed) but the sooner the better. My babes need a HOME!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    *cough*

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Since it is a metal shed, ventilation is very important. So fans are a must unless you put up some kind of insulation on the roof and walls, covered up with panels.

OR use or prefab those windows, hardware screen those windows. As many as you can put them in.

If you can, find a storm door with windows to replace those flimsy enterance doors.

Yes, hardware cloth those open spaces up in the rafters!

As for the floor, you may need to hardware wire the walls about four feet tall and skirt the bottom by burying the wires so you dont get any digging predators getting into the shed. Anchor the wires well that it wont be pulled apart or pushed by predators. For the flooring, rather than letting the chickens making holes out of the dirt floor, get some horse rubber mats. I know it's much work but keeping your shed predator proof is important.

Or two feet of gravel for flooring only, the hardware wiring would keep some of the gravel inside the shed.

OR if you can afford it, pour concrete inside that shed! That is the most effective, long lasting way!

4. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Hi there, adorable chickies! I'm still kind of new to the whole chicken thing, but if you dont do a raised floor you will have to run a ledger board, like a treated 2x4 or 2x6, and attach a hardware cloth apron which you dig down 18" to 2"... predator proof the bottom. I'd suggest the same thing in the ventilation openings at the top. It's hard to tell how big your shed is, but it looks pretty large, I would consider dividing it in two if you have plans to keep separate flocks or to breed, or perhaps making it so you walk in and have storage for food and whatnot on one side and a larger coop on the other. You could even make a brooder area on your storage side! I'm not familiar with metal buildings or your weather, but you may need more ventilation to prevent sweating!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Come to think of it, rather than wood panels, you can use vinyl panels made for basement walls. I believe Menards have those.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yes! That too!

7. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Ohhhhh, I'm taking so many notes! Thanks. Keep 'em coming. I haven't yet measured the shed, but I will.

The metal is a poor insulator? I'm in North Carolina, and we pretty much experience all four seasons...but probably warmer than not.

What sense would it make to raise the flooring, say...to the bottom wood panel and have steps that lead up to the door? And if it makes sense at all, would I have to sell an arm and a soul to get it done?

Again, thanks, and keep the ideas coming. I want something spectacular!

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Pre mix bags are pretty cheap. I'd do concrete because it will be less work, longer lasting, easier to maintain, and less expensive. Quikcrete has a calculator which will tell you how many bags. I mixed concrete in place once and it did fine... A rake, a hose, and a dust mask. Do in sections like quarters.

9. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    What are you building as a temp coop for the babies? The cardboard box will be too small too soon? My babies live in what becomes the run on the coops, 4x6x3' rectangle of 2x2" on a 2x4" base and 1/2" hardware wire with a lid of corragated plastic roofing. Holds them well for three month, banties could live in it longer until the big house is ready. I suspect persons that work a normal speed (I am in slow motion) could make the temp housing in an afternoon, weekend at most. That way you have time to predator proof the new coop. You can have a number of projects going with that shed if divided properly. What a great deal.

10. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Gooooossssssh. I am grateful for a site like this. I don't know where to begin!
    I have three rabbit hutches that I hope will do for now.

What exactly is a ledger board?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by