New House on the Block..... Playhouse Duplex! (LOTS of PIXS!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by azmotogirl, Jun 13, 2010.

1. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    OK gang.... here is the story of our expanded Playhouse Coop.....

We started out with a Playhouse we found on Craig's List..... it was great for the first 3 chicks.

[​IMG]

After I learned about chicken math here on the BYC Forum, we ended up with 2 more chicks so we needed more room. Construction started on the new addition to the coop..... follow the picture below for the whole story.....

First came the second base to raise the playhouse.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we had to do a little bit of moving things around to make room for the addition.....
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pictures of the finished project ("Duplex") from both sides and down thru the middle of the coop. We decided we would leave the roost in the original playhouse and use the second one for the nesting boxes (and for food & water if we have a storm and need to bring them inside). My DH had build a stand for the dog crate we used when the chicks were small and we left that in the run for additional shade. He attached an umbrella for even more shade. (Living in AZ you can never have enough shade!!) The last picture is of the two youngest chicks checking out the new addition. Hope you enjoy the show!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I use the same one for my ducks

Curious

Does yours have central air??

hahaha - looks so nice!!!

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    That is just WAY too cute!! I love it!!! [​IMG]

4. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    No central air..... DH would kill me if I asked to add that! Just lots of shade and misters and the far end of the run by the big green umbrella. They like to play under the mister to cool off.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Absolutely adorable!! I can not let my birds see this or they will start packing their bags [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

ROFLMAO!!! I am in the process of doing the same thing!!

It's just too small for 4 sometimes 6 birds. I've gotten a bunch of wood for free and we are expanding.

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    so adorable! its a little chicken neighborhood [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

too, TOO precious! [​IMG]

9. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    so cute- thanks for sharing- we are using an old playhouse as an "annex" to our main coop, but ours is NOT cute like yours!

great pix!

10. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] OMG I love it! I was just telling DH today that I remembered we used that same playhouse for our chickens a few years ago when the kids were done with it! He screwed the windows shut and took out the kitchen sink etc. and put in a roost. It was great for the few babies we had then, talk about cheap too, we got this for our kids at a garage sale for $10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by