New house with electric fence??

ErinLeah

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
We are moving to a more rural area with mountain lion, bear, bob cats, and coyote and someone has offered to sell me 100ft of poultry plus fence that can be electrified. Our new yard is vast and not fenced- the seems like a good solution (in combination with our predator proof coop) to keep them in and predators out until we build a real run. Thoughts ? Suggestions? Is this totally a lame idea?

You need an powerful electric fence that's baited .Predators that test it before they see your chickens will want nothing to do with the fence. Bears fur is too thick to feel it anywhere else. Electric fences work better than solar powered or battery powered against bears. One or more guardian dogs will also help deter predator that present a danger to humans and livestock.

I have 5 birds and yes that’s smaller than what we have now. I was thinking I would take it off the edge of our back fence and connect to the side of the house making the fenced area larger. It’s really a temporary solution but I thought it could be a good one for a portable run where I don’t have to dig down into the ground around the enclosure. Their coop is like Ft Knox with an automatic metal door so I’m not worried about that- but the question is- will it work for larger predators?

I'm certain the ends need to connect. Should be easy to add insulators to your back fence and add a couple strands to connect to two ends of the new fencing to complete the circuit.

I guess it would also depend on how cheap this 100' length of fencing is going to cost you.

I know someone who wants $100 for it. The battery situation is like $400 though. IDK seems like a lot of trouble.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens with a good powerful fence charger. I have never baited my wires but predators have tested them but not anymore. Now I think the adult predators teach their young that whatever is on the other side of the hot wires isn't worth getting zapped for and it will hurt. I have several cameras up on my property and see a predator most nights on at least one of the cameras. Good luck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-treatise-on-electric-fencing.1117877/
20201129_133324.jpg
20210113_164207.jpg
20210115_095548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom