New Housemate

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by keedokes, Feb 28, 2009.

1. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    So somebody on my local Craigslist threatened to leave their cat on the side of the road last night in freezing weather because nobody would adopt it. They said they'd been listing it for awhile but nobody would come get it...so, being me, I went over to pick it up. Glynn (my husband) said it was a stupid ploy because they didn't want their cat anymore, and I agreed, until I got there. This chick was kinda nuts and reminded me strongly of my cousin, who I believe would put an animal on the side of the road if she didn't want it anymore.

So I brought a cat home. And slipped on the walk, hitting our fence at just the right angle that the carrier top unlocked and kitty escaped. He went into the garage (which I promptly closed) and I chased him around a bit until I lost him. Our garage is a bit of a mess and I could not for the life of me find him. I put out an open can of cat food, some dry food, a cast iron pan that garlic chicken had been cooked in (our cat loves to lick that particular pan), some tuna water, and some catnip and stood very quietly about 8 feet away from this conglomerate. It was a no go. I could hear him rustling around here and there but he wasn't coming out. I'm was cold and came in after about an hour. I made sure he had access to the interior of the car for warmth and his litter box, locked up tight, and went inside to go to bed.

My life. [​IMG]

I thought for sure that he had somehow gotten out last night, because when I went in this morning I couldn't see hide nor hair nor evidence that he was still around. But then...I found the tiniest trace of kitty footprints inside the drawer of an old dresser. Knowing where I needed to concentrate my search, I finally found the little bugger underneath an old unplugged freezer. He was pretty wedged in there, but I eventually got him out by poking the hose from the shop vac into his rear and pushing him into a more open space. He still caught my arm a bit with a nail, but I'm really surprised that he didn't try to bite me or harm me in any way. Monster (our other cat) would have left me a lot of marks to show off.

He's inside now, not sequestered as I would have preferred, but he's here and warming up. He and Monster are having a face off, just looking at each other, under Ella's (my daughter's) bed.

I think we're going to name him Mythos. The girl who gave him to me didn't even tell me his name, so he's going to get an 'M' name like my other two, and I thought 'Mythos' went well with 'Monster'.

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    You're my hero of the week. Bless you for taking on this cat, and I hope Monster and Mythos become fast friends.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    You are such a sucker, just like me [​IMG] I hate seeing CL ads like that. I wish that I could take them all. I'm glad he ran into the garage.

4. keedokes

keedokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    He spent the day in Ella's room yesterday, but my husband shooed him out when it was time for her to go to bed. He spent much of the night meowing and trying to sleep on my head, and I spent much of mine telling him to shut up and pushing him down by my feet. [​IMG] Neither of us got very far, and man do I have a wicked headache.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by