New Hova-Bator Genesis, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by d_rooster, Dec 4, 2007.

1. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Does anyone have experience with the new Hova-Bator Genesis Model 1588 incubator? Does it hold temps as advertised?

The least expensive price I find is on eBay at $106.99 (U.S.) plus shipping. Anyone know anywhere less expensive?

I just want to make sure that before I spend the bucks that I'm getting something better than an easy-bake oven. [​IMG]

~Donald

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have one and I like it. I also have the 1590 model which is the older version. I got mine with a turner for about 140 at Cutlers supply.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have one and it holds the temps great. I really like it.

4. d_rooster

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Katy and Poison Ivy,

Thanks for the quick feedback. You've sold me on it and I just ordered it.

Another quick question on the 1588 Genesis, does it have any vent holes in the top through which I could add water using a tube?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, it has a vent hole on the top with a red plug you can remove.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I have the hova Bator w/ turner and fan -
    You can laugh at my boo boo I didn't slip the turner in

make sure you do --[​IMG]
    or the eggs kinda flop front to back--

My life as an egg killer continues

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Mine just arrived yesterday. So far so good -- I plugged it in last night and it has held a lovely 99 degrees ever since. My 1602, OTOH, has trouble keeping a steady temp. In the morning it's around 97 degrees even though nothing changes over night (I have a space heater in the room that keeps it at 70).

The best price I found was at Kemp's Koops, which appears to be the one you're looking at.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I love mine and it worked well for three years I've had it and this time it is out of commission, needed either a new thermostat or heating element wires. It has paid itself many times over with many incubations I have had on that.

9. d_rooster

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Okay, the Hovabator 1588 Genesis arrived today by Fedex. The first thing that impressed me was the tight fit between the lid and base. The styrofoam seems a little thicker in comparison to the Little Giant I've been using. On first glance at the egg turner, I thought the plastic was dirty, but after trying to wipe it clean I realized that the smeary looking dark spots on the plastic are actually embedded. The bottom tray/liner is also nice and I imagine it will help to keep this incubator clean. The clear view through the top of the Genesis is really good, too. I've got it plugged in and going already.

When the Hovabator incubator arrived today, I intercepted the package at the front door before my wife knew what was happening. When asked what was at the door, I just said, "Oh, a delivery" and ran upstairs with my new toy. Once the coast was clear I sneaked it back downstairs to the sunroom where the other incubator is already going. I rearranged everything on my rolling, lighted plant cart and moved the existing LG incubator to the cart and set up the new Hovabator next to it. I guess somehow I was hoping no one would notice another large piece of styrofoam. [​IMG] Well, wife spotted it right away and asked, "Why do you have another incubator?" Response, "Oh, I'm just trying it out to see if it works better than the one I already have." I made no mention of the dozen hatching eggs that are in the mail to me or my intention to hatch more eggs (hatching addiction?). I really don't know why I'm being so secretive. Perhaps, I'm afraid of potential disapproval. [​IMG]

This all started with a broody bantam hen needing to sit on some eggs to get over being broody. I got her a dozen Silkie eggs, but thought she was too small to sit them all. So, I gave her six and put six in the first incubator(LG). Not even one week into this first incubator experience and I find myself surfing the online auctions for hatching eggs. I really couldn't help myself since I find it hard to resist the online auctions anyway. With the combination of the winning bid euphoria and the teasing with all of the pics on this forum of newly hatched chicks, I didn't stand a chance. The sad part is that there is no help for me now - no hatchers anonymous group. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, all hope is lost. How about some nice hatching eggs? [​IMG] Everyone needs a hobby, right? Keeps me off the streets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by