New humidity gauge, how to calibrate it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Nov 13, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ok, so I put it in a metal valentine candy container, all I had. I put in half a cup of salt, again, all I had. And I placed it and the salt in there about a day and a half ago, last night it read about 40%. Today, it was at 60% humidity. Checked an hour ago, still at 60, so does that mean it is 15% off than what it is supposed to say? Since someone told me it should be 75, so any more or less you need to add or subtract when I use it. Should I use more salt? It's one of those that looks like a clock, so it has an arm, can I move it now when it's at 60, up to 75 and then I don't have to do math later?
    Please help, thanks!!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
  3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    So I forgot the water! Lol.
    thanks

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Use a heavy Ziploc bag for this. That much concentrated brine will eat up your Valentine tin pretty quick and they often don't really seal air tight.

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I cut off the thermometer, I have so many already, and put the humidity gauge in two little baggies with the damp salt.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It's now around 60...no idea what is going on or if I'm doing it right...

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you have the damp salt and the hygrometer sealed in the baggie, you have done it right. However, it takes 12 hours.

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    it's at 70% now....what the heck...
    How much air should be in the bag?
    The salt is wet enough it wiggles, then added a bit more til it was more stiff, but wet. Is that good..?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I believe the recipe is 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of water in a coffee mug, put that and the hygrometer in the baggie and seal it and leave it for 12 hours. At the end of 12 hours, that is your result.

Start over, leave it closed and don't mess with it this time! [​IMG]

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I didn't mess with it. It's been in the baggie all day, got as much air out as I could though, guess that was bad..?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by