1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW HUMIDITY METER

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    ok bought a humidity meter, we are on day 19. i put meter in about 20 min ago it is on 56% now. i know i need it higher but trying to have patience to let meter read. how long should i wait to read a correct reading? both water trays are half full as directions for bator said. eggs appear to have wet spots, is that normal? it just looks like a water stain not water beads. what should i be looking for?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would wait an hour. Did you calibrate the hygrometer to see it's accuracy ? I use small chunks of sponge. I put them right udner one of the little holes in the top so I can use syringe or staw to drop warm water down through the hole and it lands on the sponge. I ususlly only add half teaspoon at a time and wait 20 minutes to see how much it has gone up.

Good luck with your hatch. I have never seen water on my eggs before so maybe someone else knows about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I think it should be fairly accurate by 1 hour. You really should not be looking for anything as far as the eggs go. They should look the same as the have since you put them in. By tomorrow you may see some pips. Little spots where there are bubbles or cracks on the egg. If your hygrometer is accurate, then you may need to add a wet sponge try to get it to at least 65%. Sometimes in the winter it is a bit hard to force the humidity up if it is dry where you live.

4. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    UPDATE: humidity is right at 64%. i did add wet towel and small cup of water. temp is 98-99. does humidity need to be 65-70 or am i ok where it is? wow so much to know even how many times i have researched! next hatch will be easier im sure

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I will caution you that when they hatch they may drown in the cup as they are pretty sloppy and falling all over. i would stuff cotton or paper towel in it to make sure they don't get in the water.

6. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    Thanks so much!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by