New Idea (for me) for saving and feeding scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Miabearfan, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Miabearfan

Miabearfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    I have been trying to think of a convenient way to save up and handle the "chicken suitable" scraps from my kitchen i.e. egg shells, veggie/fruit pieces etc that I want to give the birds. I think I've got it! I bought a decent used blender at a garage sale and put the base on the counter in an out of the way place. Each day, when I crack my morning eggs, I throw the shells in there and give it a quick blend or two to crush up the shells, and then add any other goodies throughout the day that I want to give the girls. In the early evening, I may add some yogurt or grain. etc Since the blender has a lid it makes it easy to keep the food, fruit, tops, grains clean (and my family knows what it is so they don't get an unpleasant surprise when looking for their own snacks) Wanted to share in case you are looking for ideas that work.

Aloha

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a good idea.[​IMG]

3. Kazfam

Kazfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2013
    Nice idea.

Isn't it funny when they see you coming with food?
    Crazy birds.

4. Miabearfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I love how they run towards me like puppies - they are so tame and sweet.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just put everything in a bowl on the counter and toss it in the run every night, wash out the bowl and am good to go for the next day. Not sure why the blender?

6. Miabearfan

Nov 6, 2013
    about the blender, maybe it is just me but the egg shells and egg shell lining my girls are producing are very thick and hard to crush up easily. The blender helps me get the shells crushed and mixed with the other stuff on a low/slow pulse speed. That is all, I'm just looking for easy !

PS. Oh, feel better! I too suffered this year from CA and surgery. Doing ok now. Please take care. Actually, the CA is the reason I got my chickens. Raising/Caring/focusing on something else has been very therapeutic for me and I love a pet that makes me breakfast.
    Aloha!
    M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by