1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New idea for tractor wheels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by falcon6484, May 26, 2011.

1. falcon6484

falcon6484 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I used rotating trailer jacks with wheels.

[​IMG]

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Nice idea!

Does it put too much stress on the single wheel while you're working to get the second wheel up? (I'm thinking you have four of these - one on each corner?) Must not, if you've been using this a while. I like it!

(A closer picture would be helpful for those of us seeking ideas - to show hardware store employees!)

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Do those things have enough room to rotate down or do you have to lift it some before the wheels hit the ground?

4. falcon6484

falcon6484 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Since I took this picture I have mounted another jack in the middle of each end to lift it up and enable the wheels to rotate down.

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    very nice [​IMG]

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nice, (and spendy). Cool thing is that if you have uneven ground you can level them out. As far as weight carrying capacity, they are rated to 750-1,000lbs for the smaller ones.

Another added plus is they swivel so you aren't stuck going just forwards and backwards.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea but I think a "wheelbarrow" type is easier and more economical for one person (only need 1 tire)

8. cobra2411

cobra2411 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Great idea. I would have mounted them up a little higher and spaced out so you could swing them down and then crank them up to lift the coop.

How does it move when you have it up on the wheels?

9. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    This is a great idea-I was just going to post a question about if there was such a thing as this-I didn't know what to call them. Where do you buy them?

10. cobra2411

cobra2411 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Harbor freight, Tractor Supply or Northern tool sells them off the top of my head. As should any trailer and RV store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by