New in Berryville, Virginia

DoozyWombat

Songster
Hello, all!

I've been lurking in BYC for a while, but this week, we finally moved from our covenant-bound neighborhood to a rural home in NW Virginia.

Current plans include building an 8'x12' Woods coop, using the deep litter method, and supplementing feed with mealworms, fodder, and possibly fermented grain.

I plan to surround a square roughly 50m (164') on a side with electric fencing, and allow the chickens to free range inside that space. The space will also include the rabbit hutch, the main vegetable garden (with poultry netting around it to keep the chickens from decimating it), and a rotating chicken garden.

Initial plans include raising a straight run of 25 Cornish-Rocks for processing, mostly for learning and practice. If I can get the coop built in time, I will do that this Fall. Next Spring, I plan to get another straight run, but of Buff Orpingtons, which I will cull for breeders.

Goals: Enjoyment, health, and self-sufficiency.

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here and good luck with your plans.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello, all!

I've been lurking in BYC for a while, but this week, we finally moved from our covenant-bound neighborhood to a rural home in NW Virginia.

Current plans include building an 8'x12' Woods coop, using the deep litter method, and supplementing feed with mealworms, fodder, and possibly fermented grain.

I plan to surround a square roughly 50m (164') on a side with electric fencing, and allow the chickens to free range inside that space. The space will also include the rabbit hutch, the main vegetable garden (with poultry netting around it to keep the chickens from decimating it), and a rotating chicken garden.

Initial plans include raising a straight run of 25 Cornish-Rocks for processing, mostly for learning and practice. If I can get the coop built in time, I will do that this Fall. Next Spring, I plan to get another straight run, but of Buff Orpingtons, which I will cull for breeders.

Goals: Enjoyment, health, and self-sufficiency.

Welcome and enjoy.

If you have been lurking, as I did, then you know you are in the finest, most helpful of company.

Back
Top Bottom