New in Berryville, Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DoozyWombat, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DoozyWombat

DoozyWombat Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Berryville, VA
    Hello, all!

I've been lurking in BYC for a while, but this week, we finally moved from our covenant-bound neighborhood to a rural home in NW Virginia.

Current plans include building an 8'x12' Woods coop, using the deep litter method, and supplementing feed with mealworms, fodder, and possibly fermented grain.

I plan to surround a square roughly 50m (164') on a side with electric fencing, and allow the chickens to free range inside that space. The space will also include the rabbit hutch, the main vegetable garden (with poultry netting around it to keep the chickens from decimating it), and a rotating chicken garden.

Initial plans include raising a straight run of 25 Cornish-Rocks for processing, mostly for learning and practice. If I can get the coop built in time, I will do that this Fall. Next Spring, I plan to get another straight run, but of Buff Orpingtons, which I will cull for breeders.

Goals: Enjoyment, health, and self-sufficiency.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here and good luck with your plans.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. DoozyWombat

DoozyWombat Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Berryville, VA
    Thanks! Hopefully, my location will now show.

4. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with the coop building, and your future plans on your chickens.

6. Eggcentric One

Eggcentric One Songster

Jun 23, 2019
    S.E. Coastal Georgia

Welcome and enjoy.

If you have been lurking, as I did, then you know you are in the finest, most helpful of company.

7. DoozyWombat

DoozyWombat Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Berryville, VA
    Thanks! I have a lot to learn.

8. DoozyWombat

DoozyWombat Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Berryville, VA
    It's amazing how many helpful, knowledgeable people there are here.

9. DoozyWombat

DoozyWombat Chirping

Mar 28, 2019
    Berryville, VA
    Thanks! I've been waiting to do this for more than twenty years.

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here! Good luck as a future ‘chicken tender’ :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: