New in Chicago's western suburb of St. Charles

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Hello! We let the kids bring home 4 chicks last May. One became a lovely rooster. The kids accidentally hatched 2 chicks in Feb (8 weeks ago) when they neglected to collect eggs for a week after Christmas and let "Rosie" go broody ("isn't she cute? She thinks she'll hatch some chicks"...).

Our chickens receive many visitors. A few people have said they're afraid of catching diseases from the chickens. Is there any truth to that?

I am a nurse, my husband's a doctor, he says there's probably more toxoplasmosis in housecats, more worms in pet dogs and more cryptosporidium in swimming pools than transmittable disease from our chickens. According to literature, all flu virus is avian(birds) so we ARE careful to keep visiting kids from touching the new chicks; I wash hands a lot around here because both my husband and myself have cared for many flu victims this winter, and we're wary of infecting the chicks.

We're new at this and haven't had the vet out to worm our chickens yet. If we eat our chicken's eggs, how likely are we to catch intestinal parasites?

Thank you for this forum!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN
    I rarely worm my chickens. I only worm them if they have worms. It is very unlikey (Ive never heard of it happening) to get internal parasites from eggs.

3. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] from NC

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    [COLOR=770077]From [/COLOR][COLOR=aa00aa]Old[/COLOR] [COLOR=cc00cc]Town,[/COLOR] [COLOR=ee00ee]Maine[/COLOR]

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by