New in Florida...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    lol, started on here a little while ago...and forgot all about this site. oh well.

I live in central Florida. I'm a single mom with 3 kids living with me. (one lives with dad). I have intestinal cancer, and am unable to work, so my friend has started getting me into chickens. When she started with them I thought she was nuts, now...not so nuts.

I have decided that since we live close to each other, I dont want to be in competition with her, so I am on a waiting list for the original Wade Jeane line of BCM's, and am looking into all other Marans (as she doesn't raise these). Am also getting into EE's and Silkies. That's what my brood is going to be.

However, I'm learning from reading on here that chickens are obviously contagious, so I'm sure i'm going to end up with them all over my yard. lol.

Was considering raising cornish hens. does anyone have experience with them? Heard they have heart attacks easy? Are they easy to hatch out? Haven't investigated them yet...but can tell you all about BCM genetics lol.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ERnoleGuy

ERnoleGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Welcome from Tampa, FL! And you are right, you will have chickens EVERYWHERE! [​IMG] LOL

May I ask you why the interest in cornish hens? The cornish breeds, and cornish crosses are generally raised for meat birds. Are you just looking for a "small" chicken? Some people hear cornish and think 'small'. If so, you should just find a bantam of any breed you really like. Cornish also come in regular & bantam sizes. Best of luck.

4. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG] From Ocala! Where are you located? I'm getting 24 EE eggs to hatch out tomorrow so in 22 days i should have some chicks for sale cheap if your intrested. I also have a little (looks like its gonna be a pullet) white silkie for sale.

5. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Welcome to BYC from Ohio.

6. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Welcome from Micanopy! I started with 8 pullets because my daughter wanted to have chickens 7 years ago - now I have 46 (including one of the original hens)! And yes, in the afternoons, I now have chickens running all over the yard!

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] from Lutz,FL!!!!!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

congrats on getting into this chicken thing

Imp

9. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps