new in Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FlaFarm, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FlaFarm

FlaFarm New Egg

Aug 21, 2010
    Hello all,
    I am planning on getting chickens in the spring once we have our place settled a bit. We have a number of project, both livestock related and not, that need to get done. Anyway, I am learning alot from all of you and I'll be posting questions. Thanks for your willingness to share your knowlege!
    Michelle

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Welcome! What part of FL are you in?

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from California. I'll be interested in seeing how your plans for your farm progress. Glad to hear you're preparing for your chicks BEFORE you get them. Makes life a lot easier. Best of luck and [​IMG]!

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Quote:'Get thee to a Chicken Swap" as quickly as possible! You will meet interesting people, some from BYC I'd bet, and fall in love with the birds for sale. It's a great way to decide what breeds you want to have, and find out about them directly from the breeder. That's how I got hooked.....er, I meant to say 'STARTED' Heh, heh!

Where are you located? If you're near Jacksonville, we have an awesome swap the last Sunday of each month at Bent Creek Feed Store. PM me for more details if you're interested.

Good luck to you and Welcome Aboard

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] from South FL!

Here in FL it is easier to start chickens in the winter since it is cool enough to be outside with them and to fix up the coop etc.

Where in FL are you? based on your region I can give you advice on the coop and raising them. FL coops don't need to be as bigger since our chickens are rarely in them, but you do need more shade them in the rest of the country and you do need to have a place that they can go to if it floods.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] It's great that you're learning as much as you can prior to getting your birds. You've certainly come to the right place to have all your chicken questions answered.

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Alabama

10. Toast n Jelly