New in Indiana!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by twoacrefarm, Jun 20, 2016.

1. twoacrefarm

twoacrefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Indiana
    Hello all! I am new to chickens and super excited to get started on everything. I've stalked the forum now for 3 months and my DH says I should be well versed in chickens with all my late night readings. At the end of April we bought 11 "pullets" and DH wanted 1 straight run (hoping for a roo, and we got it!). We got 6 RIR (or production red more likely), the Roo is a buff orpington, 1 white leghorn and 4 ISA browns. We built our own coop out of a camper car port and then built a coop inside. Spend our evenings watching the chickens and enjoying watching them grow!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - wishing you continued good luck with your flock.

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @twoacrefarm That is very awesome about your coop idea. i have seen a lot of great ideas and every time I always recommend them for the Coop forum because people love to hear new ideas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance I myself spend many evenings sitting by the coop and letting the Chickens roam and eat as many ants and other insects they like. Definitely saves money on food lol. Check out your state thread at the Where Am I forum so you can contact and talk to other Indiana chicken lovers https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you I wish you and your flock the best of luck and I hope you are enjoying the Summer!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your chicken adventures started :clap Those are some lovely breeds you have there and you should have plenty of fresh eggs in the future. Chicken TV sure is great and watching flock dynamics sure can be an enlightening experience!

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you along the way.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your coop sounds interesting!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, most people don't want roos, I am glad you are enjoying him! Yes, nothing better than chicken TV. I could sit and watch my flock all day long and never grow bored.

So pull up a roost bar and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

9. twoacrefarm

twoacrefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Indiana
    Thank you all! I love all the information here on this site :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by