New in Maryland

Michelle Lisenbee

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2017
Hi all! Just introducing myself! I'm Michelle, my family and I are new to chickens....

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We adopted a flock from a friend who is moving and can't take them with her. They've been with us for just over a week. They are our first chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Five

(3) What breeds do you have? Two Red Stars, two silkies, one Polish

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Every time I google a chicken questions, BackYard Chickens is the first website that comes up. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Reading, mixed media art

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm 51, married for 26 years. We have two sons, ages 13 and 17. I'm a Registered Nurse and Massage Therapist, my husband is a woodworker (he can fix or build anything!). One son just graduated high school and is moving on to college this fall to study computer science. The other wants to be an engineer someday. We live in the suburbs, about halfway between Baltimore and Washington, DC in an old house on about 1/3 acre. We also have a chocolate lab named Shasta, and three cats: Ozzy and Bella (domestic short hairs) and Christopher, a Maine Coon. Looking forward to learning more about keeping chickens as I go along. I already love watching them!

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hi Michelle and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Kiki

🙄🤚Less is More
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to BYC.
I can't wait to see pictures of the coop your husband is going to build!

Michelle Lisenbee

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2017
Welcome to BYC.
I can't wait to see pictures of the coop your husband is going to build!
We inherited the previous owner's Quaker style chicken tractor, but I am already asking my husband to build them a run extension. :) Our yard is completely fenced, but only with 3' tall fencing. We have a sliding gate for our driveway, but the slats in that are large enough for a hen to fit through...so until we work out a way to make our yard more escape proof, I'd love him to build the girls a portable, walk-in run that we can move around along with the tractor. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Top Bottom