New in New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by onenetmom, Sep 30, 2016.

1. onenetmom

onenetmom New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    Hi All:
    I'm new to Chickens. My Grandson brought four of his chickens up over the summer, he is back in school and the chickens are still here.(Who saw that coming) We lost one of the bantam hens and the bantam rooster, to a pack of dogs about two 1/2 months ago.

The rooster was a beauty and the hen was my daughter's favorite. I, trying to ease the, pain tried to hatch 9 eggs that I thought might be fertile. I was able to get two regular sized and one bantam. Needless to say they are now all my babies. My flock is 5 in number but the chicks are still in the house, I'm afraid their Mom's will peck them. ( Good lord talk about a protective Mom.) The Chicks are 3 weeks old and have started to feather out. I sure can see the rooster's influence.

I am having a problem with the bantam chick, when I took her outside today I noticed she had what looked like dandruff and some of the feathers looked to have been shortened to the shaft. She doesn't seem to be lethargic or itchy. I'm paranoid.

Nothing like starting an introduction with a problem. (Doctor I have this Pain)(Party talk after and Into to a Dr.)

Anyway I'm glad I found you all, I can't really tell you what breed the chickens are. Only one regular sized Mom and two regular sized chicks. One small sized Mom and one small sized chick.

Thanks for being patient with an old lady new to chickens.
    onenetmom

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

You might try posting a photo of the chick you're concerned about over on the emergencies/illness forum to see if anyone over there could help you out.

Have fun with your flock!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, onenetmom, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Unsure on your itchy bantam... Could be some sort of external parasite....she might have just have to do some dust bathing and primping to get herself looking good. In terms of the breeds, you can post pics in this forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    And if you would like to chat with some locals, here's a link where you can find the NM thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Good luck and best wishes!

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

6. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! New Mexico, huh? I really like NM, it's a great place to visit! All the beautiful Yucca flowers in the summer!

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Nobody else seems to have suggested it, so it may not be the case, but could it have lice? Or some other type of parasite? :confused: Anyway, hope you figure out what is bothering her and things get back to normal!

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. onenetmom

onenetmom New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    Thanks for all the welcomes and advise.

I actually found the problem on the (disease site elsewhere on BYC.) I was being paranoid, It is just the sheath of the feathers as they come in. All the chicks have it. Evidently the sheath sloughs off as the feathers grow in. I can't tell you how excited I am to have found you all. (Or as my people say Y'all) More than two, all Y'all. It's a southwestern thing. Maybe other places to.

I will show the girls (I hope, they are all girls) once my old brain can figure out how to take and post photos. I will be doing research on the breeds, and what happens when the rooster is non specific in with the chickens he decides are his. His harem liked to climb on me, and he hated that. I have multiple scars to prove he was here.

regards onenetmom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by