New in North Alabama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Odyssey, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Odyssey

Odyssey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    So I've been a lurker for a while, but never joined because I didn't have chickens. Honestly I didn't even think I could get chickens, so I read stories and whimpered at my pathetic situation.

To make a long story short, my whimpering won over my fiance and he agreed that chickens could fit into our lives. He was resistant before, but a picture of a gold laced wyandotte got him interested ("That is a majestic bird!"). I double checked the laws of my city, and the law denies livestock and wild animals in an itemized list, but chickens were no where to be seen. There are noise ordinances specific to dogs, but not to roosters, however I don't plan on having them even though I want one. I want to move out of suburbia one day and have the full homestead, but for now my little half acre backyard homestead will begin with chickens and a garden.

I am currently building a raised coop with my grandfather, 4'x6' with external nesting boxes, a big side window and clean out doors on the long and short sides so I can reach every corner without really climbing in. The entire roof of the coop will be ventilation space. I have hardware cloth for securing the coop, and plastic fencing and poultry netting for when I build the run. I will be attaching a large pvc run for when I can't be home to free range them. We are planning on 6 birds with the goal of a colorful egg basket to share with family and friends. There will definitely be a wyandotte and easter eggers, and I've already checked with the local feed store that I support and they will have chicks in March! I'm getting married in mid-march, and have an event the weekend after, but the final week and thereafter I am free so they will be my wedding present! I'm so excited I could scream.

So I finally joined, and can't wait to share my own chicken stories soon.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] and congrats. its an awesome life.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. Wyandottes and Easter Egger are two of my favorite chicken breeds-- you'll definitly enjoy them!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] glad to see you finally joined us [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] on the chickens - welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by