New in PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cheri222, May 21, 2010.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Hi from Erie PA. We are just getting started with the coop and run. I have been reading everything I can find and now it's time for questions. Took me 2 years to talk my husband into it. The boys (5 and 10) are super excited. To start with, I want 2 silkies ( the boys idea) and 4-6 layers. My thoughts are easter egg. Will they mix well in a flock? Also as we are in the county, (3/4 acre)I was thinking about a rooster. Our coop will be insulated and everyone locked up till 730 am. Will the rooster be very loud from outside ? Most of our neighbors aren't real excited about the chickens and the first question is --rooster? Or will he just crow when he gets out anyway. Township said I can whatever or how many I want. We will need to use the hardware cloth for the pen, covered and buried. We have coons, cyotes, hawks, owls skunks and snakes in the woods behind our house. Is there anyplace cheap to get the wire, that is a huge expense. The people down the road leave their dogfood and birdseed out so we have seen rats occ in their yard. Please any reccomendations about this would be great. Thanks for sharing all your advice and experience
    Cheryl

2dogs, 2turtles, 1 fish and a great family

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] from a fellow PAer!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. It will all depend on the breed. Some roos don't crow that much while others go on non-stop. I would start with making sure the night time coop is the most secure first, that is when most of those predators are out. The outside run shouldn't need hardware cloth. Poultry wire should be fine. [​IMG]

4. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Hi, from a Pa. person that loves their chickens. I love my rooster he is a buff orpington. With 4-6 hens they will probably need chicken saddles. You can make these yourself, just google them on here. Good luck

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Cheryl! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by