New in San Diego with Pictures

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OvertheHenHouse, Sep 16, 2011.

1. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hello, BYCers!

Greetings from the newest newbie in San Diego! I’ve wanted to raise chickens for years. After we moved out to rural S.D. County and I subsequently lost my job, it was the perfect time and place! I currently have 4 Cuckoo Marans, 4 Ameraucanas, 3 Buff Brahmas and 2 Silkies. They’re in the guest bathroom in an extra large dog kennel with a couple of large branches for roosts. The Silkies are 6 weeks old, the Marans are 5 weeks and the Ameraucanas and Brahmas are 4 weeks. They each have their own personality and seem to be pretty happy. I designed, framed out and built a coop that’s 8’X10’ and 6’ tall. It’s almost done – just in time for my flock!

Thanks to you all for the wonderful information you’ve already shared in the forums - the Search function rocks! Because of what you’ve shared in past posts, I’ve already learned a ton: for starters, that I’d have to change little Emmy’s name to Rocky; that what I saw in their poo was shed intestinal wall and not a sign of coccidiosis; and that my mangy, dirty-looking ‘white’ Silkie – the one I bought out of pity because it looked so pathetic and had a pasty vent - is actually a beautiful Splash Silkie (at least, I’m pretty sure about that, and she definitely looks a lot better with some feathers!).

Here are some pix:

Sparkle the Splash (?) Silkie
    [​IMG]

Rocky with Professor McGonagall and Ripley
    [​IMG]

Group Shot at Dinner Time
    [​IMG]

Yep, I’m a newbie at this and I’m loving every second. Looking forward to sharing more photos and stories with people who are as crazy about chickens as I am.

Amy

Happily chicken addicted since … 4 weeks ago!

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Great pics & I love the names you've picked out!

3. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks, TigerLilly. Other names are Truffle (black Silkie), Pepper and Sonia (Marans), Sunshine (yellow Ameraucana), Amelia (Ameraucana who was the first to figure out how to use her wings [​IMG] ), Speckle (Ameraucana who looks like an owl), and Ingrid, Hilary and Nugget (the Brahmas). I don't think I left anyone out [​IMG]

Amy

Happily chicken addicted since ... 4 weeks ago!

4. amacucumber

amacucumber Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    springfield, oregon
    Welcome frome another BYC newbie [​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! What a cute bunch!

[​IMG]

6. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks, Amacucumber and Greymane! Really happy to be here. And Greymane, I'd love to see your 'herd'...that sounds just a little bit frightening LOL

Amy

7. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Welcome from Orange County!!! [​IMG] I started with 8 babies in June and keep adding to my flock. Current count: 18....

Ask me again tomorrow... I may say I have 20 or 24. [​IMG]

- Kim

8. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks, Kim! I'm having so much fun I can totally see myself following in your footsteps [​IMG] And I can't wait to check out your recipe blog - I love to cook!

Amy

9. Birdiegirl

Birdiegirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Welcome:)

Great Pics:)[​IMG]

10. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks, Birdiegirl! Happy to be here!

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by