New in Winston-Salem, NC

27Rabbits

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi. I am a new backyard chicken farmer in Winston-Salem, NC. I have four new chicks- now 4 weeks old. I am just beginning to learn about raising chickens and look forward to digging into the wealth of information on this site.

I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:
1. Does anyone on this site happen to be in Winston-Salem? I am unclear on the local ordinances regarding backyard chicken raising.
2. I have 4 chickens- two Delaware hens and two Barred Rock (I was told). However, I'm not sure that my Barred Rocks are actually that, based on the pictures I've seen online and what I've got. For one thing- they're brown and black and secondly, they have feathers on their legs. Is this common in Barred Rocks? or do I have something else?

Thanks for your help.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Lots of members from NC here on BYC. Here is your state thread so you can chat with your chicken neighbors about laws and other things...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina

You might call your local town hall to find out if you can keep poultry. They can tell you all you need to know about it.

As for your picture, this is not a barred rock chick. I don't know what breed he is, but he is cute!! Not a Barred Rock however. You might want to post this pic in our What Breed section for some good ID....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your laws and your new chicks! If you have any other questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hi. I am a new backyard chicken farmer in Winston-Salem, NC. I have four new chicks- now 4 weeks old. I am just beginning to learn about raising chickens and look forward to digging into the wealth of information on this site.

I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:
1. Does anyone on this site happen to be in Winston-Salem? I am unclear on the local ordinances regarding backyard chicken raising.
2. I have 4 chickens- two Delaware hens and two Barred Rock (I was told). However, I'm not sure that my Barred Rocks are actually that, based on the pictures I've seen online and what I've got. For one thing- they're brown and black and secondly, they have feathers on their legs. Is this common in Barred Rocks? or do I have something else?

Thanks for your help.
Howdy neighbor. I'm down south of you in Lexington. For Winston, I believe you are only allowed hens and I THINK you can have up to six. As for your "BR", it sounds like it is not really one since they do not have feathers on the legs and shouldn't be brown. You could post in the guess the breed/gender threads to see if anyone recognizes it.

I think the best thing would be to go to your village hall and ask. Unless you live in a HOA community, the village hall should know about their legality, if any.

Back
Top Bottom