new incubator,is there anything else i need

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by young budgie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. young budgie

young budgie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    as the heading states i have recently bought a new hova bator incubator,220volt for use in europe. i dont know if im alowed post links so i wont, but i bought it off ebay from America,and it has a automatic turner,circulated air model.
    there is a thermometer in it,but would i be better getting a hygrometer and thermometer, to be honest i dont even know what a hygrometer is but i have seen it mentions on nimerous other threads, any advice is always welcome

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    The hygrometer tells you the relative humidity and is nice to have when hatching eggs in unknown environments conditions. You can pick up a decent electronic one for under $10 dollars(I paid 7). It would be a good double check on the accuracy of the included thermometer also, plus you'll be able to adjust your humidity accordingly.[​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hello, and [​IMG] from South Carolina, USA!

As said, the hygrometer will keep track of humidity for you. Get a battery operated one, and get lots of extra batteries, say 4 or so. Some of the good ones have thermometers as well, that can be switched to Centigrade readings.

What is the model name/number of your incubator? What are you hoping to hatch in it?

I am guessing you are in UK? [​IMG]

4. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    Quote:hell no,im in Ireland. the beautiful emerald isle,lol....

all i know is its a hova-bator 220 volt with 6 racks and auto turner thermometer and circulated air fan, ill be hatching a mixture of eggs
    12 buff sussex
    6 brown sussex
    6 blue/brown cochin
    6 red mottled leghorn
    6 yokahama bantan
    6 dutch bantam

i know i should start small but hey, i have the eggs so why not

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:hell no,im in Ireland. the beautiful emerald isle,lol....

all i know is its a hova-bator 220 volt with 6 racks and auto turner thermometer and circulated air fan, ill be hatching a mixture of eggs
    12 buff sussex
    6 brown sussex
    6 blue/brown cochin
    6 red mottled leghorn
    6 yokahama bantan
    6 dutch bantam

i know i should start small but hey, i have the eggs so why not

Ireland, how delightful and beautiful!

Through BYC, I have friends now in Scotland, Great Britain, Wales and now, hopefully, Ireland!

Forty two eggs! Ok, advice time- read everything you can here about incubating and have at it!

Good luck, and we are all here to help, provide support, and admiration!

6. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    will do, im going through the forum bit by bit and it sure is a great one, ill have a look as well for the hygrometer,nad get a digitial one as well, thanks for the advice and heres to a great friendship with ya'll as well

7. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
  8. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    lol, i actually bought one off the same seller last night, good minds think alike, well i got my new incubator today a 220 volt automatic turner like the one in the link below
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-INCUBATOR-Tu...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

i have it all set up and added the water etc,but what confuses me is the thermostat on it, you have to adjust it to get the desired temp, so i take it that i set the incubator to 100 degrees, on top it says increase and decrease with arrows pointing the way to turn, s if i turn to increase i take it im increasing the heat,and once i reach 100 i have to keep it set to that all the time,would i be right in saying this??????[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    o and sorry i forgot to ask as well, how often will i top up the water in the incubator,and do i have to remove the automatic turner to do so or is there a handier way to do this

10. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes, you are correct! Let it run for a day or two to adjust temps good, after adding eggs you may have to fine tune heat adjustment again due to the volume of air space taken up by the eggs that might affect initial warm-up calibrations. To add water, maybe a straw or small tube(like from a fish tank aquarium pump) can be run through one of the vent holes in the top and water sguirted in with a big eyedropper for example. Since you have the auto-turner though and shouldn't need to open bator much at all, opening it for the few occasions to quickly dump in a bit of water with a glass or someting should be no problem either. Just watch your humidity level and add only small amounts of water if needed because it is easier to add than take out! My incubator is in my basement with almost no water in it due to the high humidity in the room and is at roughly 50%. I'll just add water on the last 3 days to raise to 70% or so for the hatching process. Good Luck on your adventure![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by