New Incubator! Let's Hatch Some Quails!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by duckncover, Oct 16, 2019.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I just got a new incubator in the mail. It's a Brinsea Mini II Advance. I also got the small egg tray. It's set up and to my knowledge ready for some eggs! I chose coturnix quail eggs from ebay that have a variety of potential colors. I want to try to keep a few in a large cage so I can start doing different things with their eggs. I'm going to attempt pickling, some crafts, and selling eggs for hatching and eating. Small scale of course.
    The eggs are due to arrive by Monday so after setting them I will begin the incubation.

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
  3. TheBoss_512

TheBoss_512 In the Brooder

Oct 12, 2019
    Well that’s adorable! lol. I didn’t realize they came that small.

4. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Loves Hatching

May 28, 2015
    South LA
    I have an eco modle of the mini and i like it pretty well im sure itll function beautifully but do u have a calibrated thermometer in there? Sometimes shipping can knock them out of calibration.

We have a little in common as I also love quail and ducks so its very nice to meet you!

Cedar Creek Farm Lady likes this.
  5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Okay everyone! Today is day 14 for the eggs and I just took out the turning tray and put the eggs on the hatching disk that came with it. I have 10 eggs that have something going on inside them. 1 egg was cracked and the other was clear. I see a tiny bit of rocking going on with the front two eggs!

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
  7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    One quail has hatched! His toes on one foot are curled in and hes having trouble getting around. Should I be worried?

mixedUPturk and danalovesdogs like this.
  8. Nabiki

Nabiki Crowing

May 15, 2019
    Sonoma County, CA
    Give it a full day. If it doesn't straighten out, you can try putting a cardboard and tape shoe on it to straighten the toes out.

9. Nabiki

Nabiki Crowing

May 15, 2019
    Sonoma County, CA
    This is a terrible picture, but the only one I have. Quail shoes.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: