New Incubator, Partial Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by metcalfmk, Apr 2, 2009.

1. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    OK, here goes some questions for y'all.

I have been incubating and having successfull hatches for quite a while now. Problem is, my good old trusty brower galvanized incubator bit the dust. Now, I bought a new incubator from TSC, the Little Giant Styrofoam one, against my better judgement. Actually, DH bought it as a gift for me [​IMG]

I set it up, ran it for about three days, had the humidity and temp calibrated (not with the dinky thermometer that came with it) and set my eggs on 03/12 in the pm. So, according to calculations, they should have started hatching either today, 4/2 or tomorrow 4/3. Problem is, they started hatching on 3/24, a few days early. I did have a couple of temp fluctuations, but nothing major. I turned them three times a day, so followed that too. So far, 6 of 14 have hatched, but the other 8 show no signs. Last time they were candled, on day 14, everything looked great, air cells showed growth, movement, veins, etc.

So, i am thinking that if no more have hatched by Sunday, they didn't make it. Does this sound about right to all of you? In the past, in the brower, I had 90-100% hatches, and all hatched around the same time, within a day or so of each other. I know that the LG incubator is a totally different creature, so I did expect some losses, but not quite this many.

What do you all think?

Thanks!!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Is youre therm calabrated , if you had say a degree or two higher without knowing that would cause some to hatch early maybe and also some not to make it ,
    Im new so take this for what its worth.
    How did youre other bator bite the dust if it was a single part of soem sort you can replace it .
    I would give the eggs till monday at least and then make shure to candle them well befor tossing them or breaking them I have read of people throwing eggs out and hearing them peeping in the garbage or people breaking them open and killing a live chick. I say unless they stink or are weepy give them extra days .
    Lg can be a bit finenky.
    What temp did you run it at?
    WHere did you place the therm?
    SOmeone will know more them me

3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    where they duck eggs??? cause i use an LG and each time i hatch out ducks they always hatch out early...they hatched out on day 25...they were still in the turner when they peeped and i only noticed when i went to move them into the hatcher...

4. metcalfmk

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    They were chicken eggs, mosty games and a few mutts lol

I ran the temp 101-102, for still air incubation, and the therm was in the center of the 'bator. I guess I will leave them a few more days and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

The Brower incubator was basically just used up, i did think about fixing it, but didn't even know where to start. The wiring is frayed inside, heating element has worn thru. I may just have to look for replacement parts and go from there.

Thanks again

5. metcalfmk

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    OK, i very gently candled, and saw no movement, or beaks etc in the air cell. Hope they aren't all dead [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by