New Incubator - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheKidAndDame, Jul 21, 2008.

1. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    OK. So this one is also in honor of Miss Prissy. I have added one extra twist however. DH was supposed to make this a few weeks ago but was distracted by his cars so I was left to my own devices. I spent a little more money than I would have liked but it was still cheaper than buying another LG.

I used an old 40 gal cooler that DH refused to utilize for food (even after a good bleaching). You see he left a sandwich in it for a year, in the sun, in FL. He went to pack it for a canoe trip and learned that you never say "I'll get to that later" when it comes to coolers and food.

[​IMG]

Glass from cheap picture frames was used for the viewing windows

[​IMG]

It is hard to see the tubing for the water. It is in the sponge to make sure the water does to slosh everywhere. The end is capped but I can hook it up to the water source easily.

[​IMG]

I have integrated gloves into this model so heat and humidity won't be lost when turning the eggs.

[​IMG]

The glove was stretched around a 6 in clean out adapter that was 3 or 4 bucks at Lowes.

[​IMG]

There is a cap to ensure that the H&H stays in and the glove can be retracted into the fitting.

[​IMG]

So far the reading have held perfectly at 99.8 and 42% without water. I am going to do a trial run with water over the next two days to make sure it can hold the humidity for hatching. DH was shocked that I finished it and that it actually works. So was DD Stella.

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Just wanted to mention that you have to put that thermometer inside the bator, or you are just reading the humidity in the room the bator is in.

Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. TheKidAndDame

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Yes, I have two of those. One is waiting for batteries at the moment. I measure the house also since I am dry incubating. It gets really muggy in here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG.........Stella is the most BEAUTIFUL little darling EVER!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wendy

And the incubator is awesome too.....nice work [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Very nice job!
    Clean lines and everything is covered well.
    The glove idea is great!

6. TheKidAndDame

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Quote:Thanks, she takes after daddy in the looks department.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    The glove idea is fantastic!!

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! This is great! So's your daughter. Funny expression. [​IMG]

When are you going to try it out?[​IMG]

9. TheKidAndDame

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    I am going to transfer three of my mutt eggs on Thu for hatching. Right now they are in the LG. I also have some bantam orp eggs in there that are on day 5 so I need this to hold the humdity. Is it wrong to say I am more excited about my mutts? They are RIRXSLW. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] Very impressive! I would've never even attempted something like this. Very cool! Keep us posted with your first hatch [​IMG]

Cara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by