new incubator ...tips please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guyg, Feb 18, 2017.

1. guyg

guyg Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    hi everyone (apology for any spelling errors)
    last year Ive bought this 7eggs Chinese incubator on ebay I was on tight budget and really wanted to get chicks hatching... I put in 5 eggs and got 2 Plymouth rock hens (now 8 months old and laying daily [​IMG] ...
    but ofcourse that's not enough out of 5... and I have made loads of mistakes during the incubating ...
    so it was a poor mix of me unexperienced and the demanding incubator///
    anyway this week I ordered an RCOM KING SURO 20 incubator which is due toarrive any day now (I'm constantly tracking the package)
    I'm going to incubate more BPR and Wyndotte eggs...
    could you give me any tips about temp and humidity during the incubating period specially if u own the same incubator...

thanks a lot[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    I have found you can not trust instrumentation on any of the cheap incubators I got 2 gages from incubator warehouse with the probe . the fan in the incubator dries things out more then you would think.
    hope this helps
    Have a nice Saturday
    Harry

4. guyg

guyg Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Thanks
    Any tips about humidity during th incubating?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  6. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Like I said on my first reply the gage from incubator warehouse gives you temp and RH.Calibrate the RH with the salt method write on the gage + or - the difference. I add water when the RH drops below 20% 1 oz only. Some times I have to add twist a day. Read the link Yorkshire recommended, also dry hatch method in the learning center hatching area. Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens is a good book to read.
    You will have to tweak your own method. These are things that have worked for me and not the definitive answer Good luck and have a nice morning
    Harry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by