New Indiana Chickie Momma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Charrisse, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    I have the fever. Bad.
    Brand new at this..
    Im totally obsessed with my babies. Ive had them for 4 days now. My 8 y/o daughter and I spend hours on end sitting with them (the "brooder" is an 8X4 partitioned off space in the hen house we just built, with wood chips on the floor, a 2 foot partition, and a heat lamp. The hen house is insulated (and currently heated for the babies lol), has 3 windows, two human doors and 1 "PulletShut" automatic chicken door) My husband asked me today if we should just move me out there since thats where I spend all my time now. HAH
    My order from MM Hatchery arrived Monday, consisting of:
    2 Rose Comb Brown Leg
    5 Black Star (1 was extra)
    4 Light Brahmas
    5 Red Stars
    2 Blue Cochins (1 was a surprise mystery baby)
    2 Silver Polish
    4 Rhode Island Reds
    4 Delawares
    I spent several hours today trying to see the differences between my RIR and and red stars and delawars lol They have similar coloring in the pale light of the red heat lamp! Discovered the Delawares are the lightest, and have white wing tips coming in, the RIR are more rusty and have black in the new little wing tips and the RS are right inbetween the two.
    Also discovered they added an extra black star - I ordered 4 and got 5. And the little tiny one died last night. I had my eye on her, she was so little. Poor sweet baby.
    Ive lost two out of 28. A polish baby got trampled in the shipping box, and the tiny black star last night. I guess that is normal? The rest seem healthy and happy although Im concerned about my remaining little polish girl.. She has a very quiet, "loner" personality. I think Im just picking up on her being so reserved, but now Im paranoid. I would be devastated if she died. We are quite attached to her, in only 4 days of having them all LOL
    How does my flock selection sound to ya'll? I hope I have pretty good egg production, but Id like to add aother polish baby, 2 plymouth rocks, 2 houdan, 2 silkies and eventually if I can find them as pullets, frizzles or sizzles LOL
    I should have plenty of hen house room, its 12X8 total. We will put up the nesting boxes and roosts soon, and plan to work on the run fencing this weekend. We are going to fence in a huge run, wooded (we live back in the woods).
    Any hints, tips or advice?
    Thanks guys, I love this place! Great reading!
    Also, if anyone is in or near Nashville Indiana, and breeds or swaps or wants to split orders, great let me know!

2. jujubee

jujubee Feather Hill Farm

Mar 3, 2011
    Welcome...Sounds like your off to a great start. Good starter choices guaranteed for tons of fun! [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good bunch of chickens.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Congrats on your new baby chicks! and Welcome from Riverside California!

6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    So glad you joined, sounds like alot of fun going on in your house!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Welcome! Be sure to show off some pics of your new babies!

9. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    I just uploaded a bunch (and video!) to the comp.. but Ill have to post tomorrow. I have to get up at 5am :/ LOL Checkin my downy babies and going to bed!
    Can I upload video here? I have a great one of them attacking a "crawling bug" app on my phone hahah

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Those are nice birds, congrats to you! [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by