New Introductions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nmerf19, Nov 1, 2015.

1. nmerf19

nmerf19 New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    We have 6 chickens (3 easter eggers and 3 rhode island reds) who are about 5 months old. We recently acquired 2 new sicilian buttercup chickens who are now about 1.5 months old. We have been letting the older birds frerange during the day while the younger chickens stay in the coop with the door closed. What is the best way to continue to introduce the new chickens into the flock?

Thanks for the help

2. chickenraiser24

chickenraiser24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    :welcome Well, what I did was put of some chicken wire in the coop and let them spend time each day getting used to each other through the wire. (under close supervision for the first few weeks). Good luck,and I'm glad you joined the flock! :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Chicken raiser has given you good advice on integrating new & old birds without bloodshed.

5. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    I fenced off a corner of my run and had my new little ones in there during the day, then put them in a cage at night inside the coop. I did this for a couple of weeks then let them free range together during the day. The pecking order is not fun :(

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Free ranging reduces the extent of aggression. It would also help to have 2 separate feeding and watering stations that are not in sight of each other - that way, the young ones will have access to food / water without having to incur the wrath of the older ones.

When you decide to let them out together, don't worry too much about pecking etc - as long as there is no bloodshed, they will work it out for themselves.

CT

7. RandaOK

RandaOK New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Greeting, As you can most likely guess we are from The Great State of Oklahoma:) Deciding to get back into chickens for the family sake. Eggs, food etc... My husband and I still at home have 4 children. However our six grown children have provided us with 8 awesome grandchildren. Looking forward to the enjoyable hard work and having support and wisdom from such a group as I expect I will find here @ BYC!

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @nmerf19 you've received some excellent info on integrating your littles with your bigs so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Welcome back to chickens!

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by