New Issue

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LostinQuailLand, Nov 6, 2010.

1. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

I'm working on yet another batch of quail hatching. The eggs in this batch are really driving me crazy. The chicks will crack a small circle at the top like normal but cant seem to get any farther. The egg shells are quite brittle and some eggs will crack and shatter yet there is the inner lining that the chicks cant seem to get out of. Any suggestions?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    What is the humidity?

3. LostinQuailLand

Quote:Right now its at 35. I have had it at 45 but this LG bator that I use as a hatcher flucuates so much. Ive tried putting sponges in there but no good. All the other hatches came out of the shell ok so Im not sure whats up with the humidity or the eggs. I have two chicks in eggs now that I want to help out but dont want to harm them they have been trying to hatch all day. They are peeping. One that I did help out just lays there kicking its feet wont stand or anything.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's too low humidity. You need to up it up, either stick a sponge in there or something. Humidity should be at least 50-60%, some people go higher.

5. LostinQuailLand

Quote:I know. I think you suggested the sponge before and I put it in and keep it wet and it worked for a while but now its back low again. Im almost ready to give up on bobwhites! (ok not really well not yet).
    I have a hova bator and its humidity is just perfect and I use it as my incubator. The LG I use as the hatcher and am fighting with it every day for humidity levels.

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    the 1 I had that took so long to get out of its egg had curled toes and grew too big to get its beak back in the shell, I finally broke it out 5 hours after it pipped but it didn't survive 1 pipped and zipped but still didn't get out of egg on own he died too the last of the goldens I pulled out of his shell asap and he was the only golden to make it. I'm not sure what the eggs were that didn't hatch at all, but that could of been my fault for opening the bator to rescue the others.
    quaillady is the expert i don't have any advice to give just thought I would share my 1st hatch with you.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Is there any way to hatch your guys in the hovabator? I know you said it was used as an incubator but it seems like your hatcher is having technical difficulties from what I am hearing.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I know. I think you suggested the sponge before and I put it in and keep it wet and it worked for a while but now its back low again. Im almost ready to give up on bobwhites! (ok not really well not yet).
    I have a hova bator and its humidity is just perfect and I use it as my incubator. The LG I use as the hatcher and am fighting with it every day for humidity levels.

SWAP THEM... LGS DO A GOOD JOB INCUBATING BUT JUST DONT HAVE ENOUGH WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEIR DESIGN FOR GAME BIRDS. USE THE LG TO COOK THEM AND THE HOVA TO HATCH THEM

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida

SWAP THEM... LGS DO A GOOD JOB INCUBATING BUT JUST DONT HAVE ENOUGH WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEIR DESIGN FOR GAME BIRDS. USE THE LG TO COOK THEM AND THE HOVA TO HATCH THEM

cook [​IMG] where is brooksville?

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Hernando County- 1/2 Way Between Tampa And Ocala

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by