New Jersey Rooster in the BackYard

k9tommy

Hatching
Dec 14, 2016
Hi from my Family, we are really new to the World of Farm Animals. My Wife and I are city slicker's and I bet as we proceed in raising and caring for Chickens and goat's we are sure to tickle Your funny bone.
Any advice from what type of Chicken and Rooster we should raise in our NorthEastern ( New Jersey ) climate would be deeply appreciated. Besides chickens and two goat's we/I would like to raise turkey's and ducks.
I'm disabled from a Auto accident in 2008 and my Wife cares for our Son, Paul who is severely autistic. We have five barn cat's two if which have worked their way into the house. I'm a former K9 Breeder, Trainer and Handler that trained German Shepherd's only for Military and Law Enforcement as well as personal protection Shepherd's for Family pet's. Currently we Have only one German Shepherd and a sweet Border Collie that thinks She's and German Shepherd.

We will be securing a Chicken Coop early 2017 and at this point we are considering obtaining seven chickens for their eggs and family pet's. We would like to free range the Chickens but we live next to protected forest federal and State land which supplies us with a great variety of animal's from Deer to Eagle's. Our soil is sandy and we do have a lot of reptiles during the warm weather.
Free ranging may prove costly as we have a abundance of feathered predator's and four legged, fox, raccoon and coyote.

We look forward to being a useful members, thank You in advance for any advice given.

Hello from Republic of Ireland
:welcome
I am glad you joined the flock!

Now about the hens.
I know you would like to free range but I think,
To be safest I would build a covered run for your hens because
You say you live beside a Forrest with Eagles etc.
I am sure there is other chicken predators in there too.
So considering that it would be best to keep them in a run.
If you would like them to free range you can let them out
When you are around to watch them.
You can also get a rooster to look after the hens.

Goodluck
Fionn.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

There are several articles in the Learning Center that will be helpful in getting you off to a good start, including how to narrow down chicken breeds to the ones that best suit your needs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

Your state thread would also be a good source, you should go say hello to them and ask some questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537/new-jersey

Make yourself at home here, every one is here to help each other!

G’Day from down under k9tommy
frow.gif
Welcome!

Best wishes with your new venture.

As you have already received some good tips I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Chicks/chickens , that have never been free ranged won't miss it. I suggest you check out the predator threads for suggestions on turning your coop and run into a Ft. Knox to keep the bad guys out. A covered run will keep out climbers & raptors and if it is a solid top will provide some protection from the elements as well as shade. Are you allowed to have electrified fencing if needed?

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Back
Top Bottom