New Jersey's Chicken Sex Laws - Sad but true

chicknjane

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
Pine Grove, PA
Its just something I had to share. It sounded ridiculous when I read the headline, but after reading the article, I found it to be just sad. New Jersey's Hopewell Township has passed legislation restricting chicken sex to 10 days a year only after the rooster has been tested and proven to be disease free.

Attached is an article summarizing the new law.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/legalgroun...icken-hookups.html?DCMP=NWL-cons_legalgrounds

When city meets country and city prevails. Absolutely, totally absurd! This stupidity took place less than 10 miles from my home. How is it possible to enforce? "Heck no officer that rooster hasn't been here more than 10 days. He's still on his honeymoon."

I'm trying to imagine how you would get chickens to practice safe sex. Public service announcement? Publicly funded health education classes? If you could just convince the chickens to practice abstinence until after marriage, then I think you would be ok, right? I mean, the government can't dictate what goes on between two consenting avians, can it?

I don't think they could possibly base that ruling off a rooster crowing after doing the deed.... cause mine crow all the time regardless if they've been busy.

I honestly think it's cause some ignorant prud didn't want their kids, or they didn't want to see, a rooster getting rough with or mounting a hen, period.

I agree with SillyChicken.

Honestly, they think reducing a rooster's sexual activity will reduce his noise? (It doesn't make sense with human males either.)

My boys were rather shocked the first time they witnessed chicken sex. And of course birds do it more when their humans are around, kind of thumbing it in our faces I think.

I keep my roosters separate from the girls and those boys crow from 4:30 a.m. until sundown. I've got the loudest roosters and I can say with certainty that it isn't post "cloacal kiss" crowing either.

I think it is just crazy. Its local government so it must be that someone on the township board wanted it passed and kept making noise about it until they got their way.

What does the ordinance say about conjugal visits?
he.gif
Aren't lawmakers rediculous sometimes?

Back
Top Bottom