New Job ... Old Trouble ...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mangled, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I got the shift supervisor position I applied for. I started yesterday.

The facility is a nursing home with 220 residents and 85 CNAs, 23 LPNs, 7 RNs, and 1 nursing supervisor - me. The schedules are a freaking mess, they cannot keep the floors staffed due to call-offs, and my first case of "trouble" was a CNA that was being brought in due to a complaint of roughness by one of the residents.

Now, I haven't worked since 2005. One of the last days I worked at my old facility, I was key in having a CNA terminated for claims of roughness with the old folks. Not one or two residents came forward, 5 came forward to accuse this individual.

This person was terminated, and against my wishes, the facility did not report the termination or claims of abuse to the State Board of nursing. Ridiculous, I know.

Anyway, lo and behold, this same individual is the one being accused of roughness at my new facility. They wanted to terminate this person and had no intention of reporting it to the state board. I cannot, due to confidentiality issues, disclose the issues that occured with this individual at the other facility to this facility.

[​IMG]

So, I kind of forced the issue, told them to report it or I would report it. The Director of Nursing is ticked off at me and the Administrator is questioning the decision on hiring me, stating I'm "too harsh".

So, my second day of work, I've had to fire someone, and had to make a call to the State Board of Nursing to report claims of abuse, I've stepped on the DON's toes and ticked off the Adminstrator.

*sigh*
    How's everyone else's week going? [​IMG]

Em

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Mangled: You did the right thing. Hang in there. It will get better. I admire you for what you did.

Hurray for you!

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow - I'm speechless!

I'm really impressed that you insisted they report this person - I hope that doesn't hurt your future at this facility. Did the offender recognize you?

I hope someone at home brought you a warm blankie and a stiff drink for the day you've had. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

As a FORMER Administrator of an Assisted Living home, you have your hands full. Who are you under - the Director? Whoever it is, you need to sit down and TOTALLY weed out the CNA's that are not in it for the love of the people. You have an extremely hard job to do and I do not envy you at all. I think maybe a meeting with the ED and DON is in order. I know that your goal is to see the residents treated with the respect that they deserve for reaching such an age as this. Stand your ground - people like you are rare in the industry.

5. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    JMO - but I think you did right. First and foremost, you are an advocate for those residents, who deserve to be treated gently with kindness and respect.

I hope things work out for you. Hang in there, it's not always easy to do the right thing!

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you are bang on!!!!

I am PSW (i think you call them CNA but in canada we are called PSW's personal support workers)

you have one thing in your favor...you have a "governing" body to report this kind of person to...we are unregulated so there is no one to report to and trust me i work with a few that need to be reported

7. mangled

Oh, this person recognized me. I recognized the name, and almost laughed at the surprized expression when they walked into my office.

I was taught, and believe it to be true, that if you witness or are aware of an act of abuse, neglect, whatever, and fail to report it, it makes you just as guilty as the person comitting the abuse.

Hopefully I still have a job when I go to work tomorrow.

One of the male CNAs where I used to worked nicknamed me "Old Ironsides" at my last facility. [​IMG] He actually bought me a mug of the USS Constitution, which was an old ship nicknamed "Old Ironsides".

I have a feeling this job is going to be quite a challenge. Their are CNAs with EIGHT call-offs in the past six months that have had no disciplinary action for their call offs. By all rights, barring true sickness, they shouldn't have jobs. I may be tough, but I'm fair, as well.

Most of the call offs are paydays and Saturdays. Their staff is pretty young.

I should get out my "Old Ironsides" coffee mug and take it in with me tomorrow. [​IMG]

Em

8. mangled

Quote:Supposedly, I'm to report directly to the DON, who, by the way, is NEVER in her office. All the times I've had to ask a question, I've had to go looking for her, and have found her on the smoking patio 60% of the time.

I do feel like I've got my hands full. I just hope it's not going to turn into a nightmare.

I love working with the old folks.

I just lost my Gramma on Oct 26th, quite suddenly, to breast cancer, and I was misty more than once today walking around and talking to all the old folks. It's like having a building full of grammas and grampas, LOL.

Em

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The problem with most CNA's, not all, but most, is that they are sucked into a college course for $15,000 and are never told the most they will make is $10-12/hr. If that much. Around here the going rate is $8-9. So they become bitter and having to do what they do for peanuts. there are some that are dedicated and awesome, I had a few, but we definitely had some that needed their licenses yanked.

10. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    WOW. you did the right thing for sure! is there absolutely no way at all, even through the right avenues, that you can tell the DON about the previous abuse? people who would do anything to the elderly suck. a lot. have one of these, [​IMG] , and know you did the right thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by