New Kansas Chickenmama Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sturdyprairiegal, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sturdyprairiegal

sturdyprairiegal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Hello, everyone.
    I've been reading and researching at this forum for quite some time and finding it incredibly helpful. Thought I'd finally make it "official."

I moved from the city to 25 acres of woods in NE Kansas (Jefferson County, near Lawrence and Topeka) last December. Started in with chicks in late spring, lost quite a few to a rampaging-chicken-slaughtering-dog which forced me to get rid of the dog. Then lost both my Chinese geese to a fox which forced me to get more serious about nighttime anti-predator security... So it's been a bit of a long year, but here we are. Five remaining chickens (2 white bantam roosters, 1 buff orpington hen, 1 red sex-link hen, 1 leghorn hen), 7 guineas, 7 call ducks.

Oh, and three kids still at home... two dogs, two cats, and milk goats on the horizon...

Anyone else in Kansas (or surrounds), please let me know. I'm having a heckuva time [​IMG] with the snow/ice/wind the last few weeks, with the coop getting too humid and now dealing with some frostbite, so I'd love to link up with other poultry folks in the Midwest.

Best wishes to all of you for a healthy, productive 2009,
    Janice

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] Im not from the midwest, just wanted to welcome you to the site.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

What a wonderful move that was. Sorry about your losses.
    This most definitely is a fun, friendly and helpful site!!

4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] Made the right move joining! This group is very helpful with anything that comes your way!
    I'm not in KS, but I'm in WY. We've had an unusually cold winter here too! It's been consistently below zero for a few weeks now. The wind is killer. We never have humidity issues, and frostbite is usually fixed (here) by some vaseline on combs and stuff. After the fact, I've always used neosporin. Hope that helps a little!

[​IMG]

5. sturdyprairiegal

sturdyprairiegal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks, everyone. Yes, vaseline and neosporin are being used here... just trying to figure out how to minimize the humidity in the coop, while keeping it above freezing in there. I'll learn. Amazing thing is, the girls are still laying eggs right on schedule. Yesterday I got some vitamin/mineral supplements to add to their water, which they seem to really like. I guess that and a little antibiotic creme is what was needed. My rooster is usually a little aggressive, but now he just looks at me, like "Can't you fix my comb?" Poor little guy! Anyway, thanks to everyone for the welcome!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We've got a Kansas thread on here somewhere.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Hope you have a great 2009

8. chickenlady74

chickenlady74 New Egg

Dec 28, 2008
    chickenlady here from central ks
    20 miles se of Salina outside a little town called Gypsum,
    lost 6 hens to the unbareable cold last week ,my hens were in molting and some dummy at the agricultural dept(in salina) told me to stop feeding my chickens for 2 weeks and dummy me did that in the middle of the cold , they didn't make it & I wised up they are getting food.
    Nice to share my troubles with other ks people having troubles,help any way I can.

9. PrisonARNP

PrisonARNP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Leavenworth, Kansas
    Quote:I am just down the road from you in leavenworth. I lived in Jefferson County at Lake Ridge CC in the 90's. Give a shout if there is anything I can do. I have Cuckoo Marans with fertile eggs if you have a bator and want to try and hatch some. give me a pm and I will save you some. dc

10. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG] I'm sorry for your losses. I live in Central Kentucky and predators are a constant battle. This is a great site for all your poultry needs. Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by